AVIC411.com

D3 Illumination Wire on 2006 GMC Yukon

Just this week had the D3 installed in my 2006 GMC Yukon with Bose and OnStar, also installed the xm nav traffic, bluetooth, ipod, backup camera, used the gmos-4 harness, pac swi-ps control.

The GMOS-04 harness doesn't have an illumination wire so the installer ran a custom wire but I'm not sure how, now the unit dims properly with the automatic headlights however my gauge lights stay light all the time, even when I turn the automatic lights off.... this is kind of annoying and was wondering if anyone has experience with this vehicle and the proper way to wire the illumination or if this is one of those things I will just have to deal with. Also when I shutoff the vehile the radio stays on until you open a door, when I turn off the car the radio goes nuts scanning throught the presets until I remove the key, I'm assuming this has to do with the PAC SWI-PS..... I would really appreciate everyone's help in finding some answers as I just recently installed the system and would like to get it working perfectly! Thanks again for any/all help!

• 3 weeks later...

OK had the exact same issues during my install on an 04 Cadillac Escalade, I ended up tapping an illumination wire off of the headlight switch on the far left side of the dashboard, I believe it was purple , but will have to check, this is the only wire in that cluster that will work for the dimming function, tapping this wire does not cause the dash lights to stay on etc.

On the PAC SWI PS, the scanning presets until you open the door is an issue and drove me nuts, basically the retained accessory power (RAP) allows the radio to function with the car shutdown until the door is opened, the Pac SWI needs to tap into a circuit that also has RAP just like the radio, otherwise if you use regular 12 volt switched power, when you remove the key from the ignition, the PAC looses power but in the process sends like 20 scan commands to the radio creating that rapid jump through preset channels. To obtain RAP power for the PAC SWI I tapped an existing fuse in the drivers side fuse panel that has RAP power to match the radio, no more issues with the PAC at that point.

Bottom line, I am not a 12 volt installer and this two issues caused me some pain for what should be a plug and play solution by now on the GM full size truck platform with the Metra GM harness etc.

Simon