AVIC411.com

Good deal? Avic Z1 vs. DNX7100

DIY it if you have the experience and skills to do so. I paid $330 for an installer to do some shoddy work. I wanted to have an installer be able to vouch for me in case the deck malfunctioned. Since I was buying it used, it would be hard for the seller to refute a professional installer. I basically wasted the $330 because I know I could have done a better job myself. The installer did a terrible job. Also, the shop tried to scam me out of $100. They charged me for a harness with a special module that allows my car to keep the audible turn signal and warning chimes, yet they installed a regular wire harness.

What kind of car do you have? You can probably find a Metra Harness that'll give you the navigation wiring. Buy a $6 crimping tool and some disconnects and you're good to go.

Good luck with the install if you decide to DIY.

DIY it if you have the experience and skills to do so.

I have installed a few Ipod adaptors in my/friends radios over the years but not a complete radio like this. I want to connect a few aftermarket more items as well: PAC kit for the steering wheel controls, Bluetooth, sirius module,etc. Would the combining of all of these things make this difficult?

What kind of car do you have?
It's a 2006 VW Passat Sport

100_0021.jpg

Yeah, it looks like Metra doesn't make a harness that will supply the nav wires. Take it to the installer and let them deal with it. If they charge you for a nav install, make sure they connect the nav wiring. The dumbasses I took it to charged me for a nav install, but didn't hook up the speed sense and reverse wires. They aren't vital to the Z1, but still, for that price they should have done it.

My harness was pretty straight forward. I installed it and it works great. I accomplished in a few minutes what it took the installers several hours to try and figure out.

Good luck with the install.