AVIC411.com

For the people who got their AVIC stolen, what type if any alarm did you have? I used always put a plastic bag over the unit when it was parked. It looked like a makeshift garbage bag so I figured it kept prying eyes away. Lately though I have gotten complacent. I have a nice Viper 2 way alarm, is that enough?

you can have all the alarms you want. if someone wants it bad enough, they're going to get it

What I was trying to get at was, can a thief somehow disable my alarm or will they just set it off and work real fast.

If it happens at home I would either hear the alarm or the 2 way remote beeping and I would run out there.

If they can somehow disable the alarm then I need to figure something else out.

• 2 months later...

talking to a guy at work i was told that the thieves are now taking a stun gun and hitting the car with it this will short out the fuse and cause the alarm to not go off.

Now not sure if it is true or not BUT

If it is then i would highly sugest taking the fuse and fuse holder and throwing them away. Replace them with a self reseting breaker in the circut.

So if they do this to short out the alarm and blow the fuse it will do this. But also the breaker will reset causeing the alarm to sound off as they will be in the car at this time or at least trying to get in it.

Most reset pretty quick. So with any luck you would catch them or at least possiably scare them off the car .

A good thief can disable your alarm OR just wait til you are far enough away from the car that the 2-way remote won't signal you. Alarms are theft deterents, not armed guards

What I was trying to get at was, can a thief somehow disable my alarm or will they just set it off and work real fast.

If it happens at home I would either hear the alarm or the 2 way remote beeping and I would run out there.

If they can somehow disable the alarm then I need to figure something else out.

A good thief can disable your alarm OR just wait til you are far enough away from the car that the 2-way remote won't signal you. Alarms are theft deterents, not armed guards

Well put,

but some folks still actually look at a car with the alarm going off if for no other reason they want to know where to start throwing things to get it to shut up.

:lol: