AVIC411.com

Z2 Upgrade Help - Connecting TOSHIBA MK6034GAX via USB

Hey Guys,

I have the TOSHIBA MK6034GAX hard drive out and ready. I also have a USB 2.0 IDE adapter from "Young Micro". I connected the adapter to the back of the hard drive and the only side that worked was the one that left out the left most 4 pins.

I connect the USB portion of the adapter to my HP Compaq nc6400 laptop running XP. The light on the adapter turns on and the hard drive makes a light noise like it's turning on.

However, the computer does not recognize that anything is plugged into the USB port. The USD IDE adapter info card says you don't need to install any drivers if you have XP.

Does anyone know what I'm missing here? How do I get the computer to recognize the hard drive so I can put the image on there?

Thanks,

Duke

rite click my computer

go to MANAGE

then DISK MANAGMENT

you will see the HD there

rite click on that HD and create partition

:D

Cool. Right mouse clicked and said new partition and just clicked next through it. It's formatting as we speak.

So then I can just drag and drop the "AvicZ2Image.nzb" file onto the drive?

Then I'll use the Acronis Disk Director to change the final partition to allow for more music storage.

Thanks again for the help and walking me through it!

Duke

Nevermind. I see I didn't really download the image yet. Just a file I thought was the image.

Holy buckets, I'm downloading from the FTP site and that will take all night. I'll probably just go to be and let it do it's thing.

Then use Acronis True Image to "mount image" under the operations tool bar. Then use Acronis Disk Director to expand the music partition per SemoTech's post.

While I'm up and working on this thing I'll look to see if I can change the boot up splash screen to something cool. I have an F150 and it'd be nice to have a stock looking F150 bootup screen.

EDIT: Do I really need to disable a security lock?

if you ever want to get back in ur HD to mod then yes

cus the moment you insert that drive its locked

[quote

EDIT: Do I really need to disable a security lock?

hmmm....well I guess I'll have to take the time to do this then and burn that boot disk to a floppy to boot my laptop with it when the HD is plugged in.

8 more hours to go anyway on the download of the image....wow it's taking longer then I thought. Maybe I'll plug into the router instead of wireless.