AVIC411.com

2004 T-bird installation

Everyone said it couldn't be done- it's not hard, you just have to be resourceful.

"Dealer installed" Avic88 with touchscreen was a nightmare- they farmed it out to a hack shop- they stuck the touch screen right to the dash fascia with tape and screws. :shock: Wiring was hacked up- bad installation in every way. No shop would attempt it, most claimed "no way" to do it.

The key- use a Lincoln LS dash plate and Ford Motorsport dash paint. The pics make the color look a little off, but in person it matches the dash perfectly. I used an adapter to keep the stock subs (use a 5V converter for the turn-on lead). Installed all Polk speakers while I was in there too and a Boyo reverse camera. The t-bird doesn't have a dash dimmer circuit, so tap it at the switch too.

1before.jpg

Lousy dealer installation.

2lsplate.jpg

Lincoln LS plate

3side%20mounts.jpg

Only thing that required drilling- side mounts. I used stainless cap screws.

4test%20fit.jpg

Test fit- had to use a Dremel to adapt the LS plate. LOTS of plastic removed.

5painted.jpg

Painted with Ford dashboard paint.

6after3.jpg

Installed and working- bypassed too. The flash makes it look as if there's a gap at the top, but there isn't once I put the felt anti-queak stuff between the top of the fascia plate and the top vent assembly. The paint is a little more reflective than the dash, but it is an exact match when not looking at it with a flash strobe. :D

tbird.jpg

Done deal- as it should have been... I made a T-bird background for it and most people now think it is a factory unit. I used a SWIX adapter to retain ALL the steering wheel remote functions. The sound is amazing- Polk Db's all around, Sirius radio, factory amplified subs.

If anyone needs one installed in VT- I think I have it 'down' now that I've done this one.

Thanks a LOT to this board for the info to do this project. I know that like most others, we lurk and learn, but without this forum it wouldn't have been possible. Thanks!