Search Archive

Is the Z2 worth the wait? OR the Z1 with the update?

By Rodge · Jan 23, 2007in General💬 47 posts👁️ 7,970 views
Page 1 of 2
Posted Jan 23, 2007 · 17:42 UTC#1

I'm just trying to get a feel for what people are thinking on the whole Z2 VS. Z1 deal...

First of all, do we have a confirmed price on the Z2?

secondly, would that price be lower than buying a Z1 now and purchasing the update?

Do we know if all the mods for the Z1 work for the Z2?

Do we know of any bypassing issues on the Z2 that might be different than the Z1?

 

I'm kinda stuck right now on if i should buy a Z1 or wait for the Z2, just seeing what all of you knowledgable people think!

Posted Jan 23, 2007 · 18:51 UTC#2

The difference between the Z1 and Z2 only seems to be software, from the info we've gotten, so far. Most likely, if you buy a Z1 now, Pioneer will probably offer a downloadable upgrade on their website, or one of the evil geniuses on this site will be able to find a way to do it. Anyway, the hardware should be the same, other than the ink.

Posted Jan 23, 2007 · 19:10 UTC#3

right, We know that it's only software based, But what about pricing? I think thats the main question here. Will the cost of a Newly released Z2 be less than the Z1 with the update?

Posted Jan 23, 2007 · 19:17 UTC#4

Doesn't matter what the price is, if you can't find one. If you can locate a Z1 from an authorized dealer for a good price, jump on it!!! The difference is only in the software, so if the Z2 software seems to be that much better, someone will find a way to offer it to us, and maybe Pioneer may offer the upgrade for free to people who purchased a Z1 very close to the time of the Z2 release...., just maybe. Just make sure they are an authorized online dealer, I have seen too many people get screwed on this. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v ... 87,00.html

Posted Jan 23, 2007 · 20:49 UTC#5

I still would love to hear what the cost is going to be on the Z2. I've heard everything from 2,300 to 1,700... If it's 2,300 obviously buying the Z1 and getting the update would be cheaper. But if it's 1,700 obviously getting the Z2 would be cheaper.. Thats all I'm really wondering about...

Posted Jan 24, 2007 · 01:52 UTC#6
I still would love to hear what the cost is going to be on the Z2. I've heard everything from 2,300 to 1,700... If it's 2,300 obviously buying the Z1 and getting the update would be cheaper. But if it's 1,700 obviously getting the Z2 would be cheaper.. Thats all I'm really wondering about...

 

I wouldn't expect an official price anytime soon..Pioneer likely won't release the MSRP until Q2 to keep competitors at bay.

 

Consider this, though--- newer is almost always more expensive. Also, until someone actually gets their hands on a Z2 and toys with it we have no idea of knowing if the upgrades are even worth it....

Posted Jan 24, 2007 · 02:01 UTC#7

rodge is like a little school girl, cant wait to get her goodies touched.. err wait.. oh well forget i said anything

Posted Jan 24, 2007 · 05:54 UTC#8

Leave that talk between you and your STi Tillithz!! We know how much you love your car, but we don't need to hear about it on the forums!!HAHAHA

Posted Jan 24, 2007 · 06:22 UTC#9

Dealers were able to order the Z2 at CES, MSRP on the sheet said $2200. And no, we don't know about the bypass yet because it isn't out yet. You won't get a real answer on that til they get here

Posted Jan 24, 2007 · 12:13 UTC#10
And no, we don't know about the bypass yet because it isn't out yet. You won't get a real answer on that til they get here

 

This is true, but I would be willing to bet money on the fact the hard ware in the Z2 will be so close to the Z1 the connectors will be inter-changable and the bypass will be the same and the Z1 (which is very similar to the D series as well). I'm thinking they kept it the same.

Posted Jan 24, 2007 · 17:56 UTC#11

I agree with you that it will "probably" be the same, but whats the point in speculating to the hundreds of posters that will no doubt ask before you or I or anybody else actually get to open a box to check for sure?

 

This is true, but I would be willing to bet money on the fact the hard ware in the Z2 will be so close to the Z1 the connectors will be inter-changable and the bypass will be the same and the Z1 (which is very similar to the D series as well). I'm thinking they kept it the same.

Posted Jan 24, 2007 · 21:33 UTC#12

the z2 chassis and hardware are exactly the same

 

the only change is the software and i had this confirmed today

Posted Jan 24, 2007 · 23:37 UTC#13

So if MSRP is $2,200 isn't it safe to say we should be seeing them under $2,000? I mean as with anything, the MSRP is pretty much BS, nobody actually pays that cost. If thats the case, It looks as though it doesn't really matter if you choose to get a Z1 and buy the update would be right around the same cost as a new Z2.....

Posted Jan 24, 2007 · 23:46 UTC#14

I would bet for the next couple months people will be taking orders at MSRP. For the first month of sales (if it tracks the Z1) the lowest price (which I found in April) was $1900. It will probably take a couple months of sales (3 or so) till it hits $1500 ish for the low.

Posted Jan 24, 2007 · 23:49 UTC#15

that sounds about right Ducati..... I just need Tillithz to come through and hook my ass up with a Z1 then!

Posted Jan 25, 2007 · 00:23 UTC#16

im trying for ya bro.

Posted Jan 25, 2007 · 00:32 UTC#17

So why not give him yours? :wink:

Posted Jan 25, 2007 · 00:38 UTC#18

give?

Posted Jan 25, 2007 · 00:46 UTC#19

Sell is that better?

Posted Jan 25, 2007 · 01:00 UTC#20

absolutely its better, you answered your own question. I really considered it, but decided not to. Ill probably just let pioneer rape me on the cd upgrade for a product that was far less then perfect originally. thats if the upgrade is really dramatically improved.

Posted Jan 25, 2007 · 01:07 UTC#21

Oh I'm sure there will be ways around that.

Posted Jan 25, 2007 · 02:31 UTC#22
It looks as though it doesn't really matter if you choose to get a Z1 and buy the update would be right around the same cost as a new Z2.....

 

not so

 

think about this

 

when is the last time you got labor for free at a car stereo shop?

 

never.

 

this update is gonna be hard to get in your hands without going to a shop. and as stated before this is a 2-3 hour process. If the shop doesn't charge you for the time I would be highly surprised. In the end its gonna cost you more than you expect.

Posted Jan 25, 2007 · 03:17 UTC#23

I doubt they will charge much to do it. There is about a $75 margin in the retail price and will only take them a few minutes of actual work. Most of it is down time

Posted Jan 25, 2007 · 03:35 UTC#24
when is the last time you got labor for free at a car stereo shop?

 

never.

 

this update is gonna be hard to get in your hands without going to a shop. and as stated before this is a 2-3 hour process.

That's crap! If you've ever done a Pioneer Navi update before, you know there's nothing to it. All you do is pop in the disc and wait. Even if it's a 2-3 hour installation, do you actually think the installer is going to wait in the car that long while the software updates? Hell no! I doubt it if he'd even been in your car for a whole minute.

If the shop doesn't charge you for the time I would be highly surprised. In the end its gonna cost you more than you expect.

I would actually be surprised if I did get charged for labor for the install.

Posted Jan 25, 2007 · 04:19 UTC#25

no way its 2-3 hours, you can quote me on that, are you meaning to say that the car has to be sitting there for 2-3 hours? naa, running for 2-3 hours, naaa, doesnt make sense

Page 1 of 2