AVIC411.com

D3 won't drive amplifier

Just finished installing an Alpine 4ch amp, but... no sound.

I patched my ipod straight to the amp with a mini din to RCA adapter, and the amp does put out sound, so it's working.

Is there anything I have to do to turn on the preamp out on the D3? It's a month old, and the harness plug into the D3 seems to be seated well. Everything else works, but not a peep out of the amp.

Brand new Fosgate patch cables, so I don't think they are bad, but just to be sure, I'm going to pull the D3, attach the ipod to the other end of the cables, and see if that puts out any sound. While it's out, I'll try another set of cables from D3 to amp, too - take as many unknowns out of the equation as possible.

Well, this is weird. When I finished testing this afternoon, I disconnected the ipod patch cables, plugged the D3 cables back in while the radio was on, no sound.

Put the amp back in place, I'll look at it tomorrow. Came out this evening to take the family out to a christmas dinner... it's working. Front speakers came to life. Something must have been loose somewhere. (haven't put the rear speakers on the amp yet, it's a crew cab truck and they're a bear to get to) I thought maybe having just the front speakers on the ext. amp and rear on the D3's amp might have fooled it, but that wasn't the case. Both put out sound now. Have to switch the rears over tomorrow.

I will say this - the component Alpine speakers sound a lot better on a 40w dedicated amp than they did on the D3's internal amp. You can crank it and the sound doesn't break up.