AVIC411.com

New AVIC-D3 Install - VW Passat 2003

Hey AVIC,

Firstly thanks for all the very informative information on the AVIC-D3 especially the very easy to follow bypass instructions! Had me up and running in no time.

I do have a few questions I hope won't be too hard to answer and haven't been answered 1000 times before.

The first question comes from some advice I got from passatworld forums, Someone told me the AVIC-D3 includes a mounting cage of sorts that will work just fine for mounting the AVIC-D3 in my 03 Passat, Is this true?

Secondly, Short of taking out my headliner and drilling holes in the roof is there a better way to mount the Sirius antenna?

Thirdly, what PAC controls do I need to purchase in order to get my steering wheel controls to function correctly?

Fourthly, What Classic Ipods are 100% compatible with the D3? For instance will the Gen 6 classic work?

Fifthly, what is the 15GB advertised by so many resellers used for?

Thanks!

Chris

First: Do a search for passat or VW or volkswagen. There's a few topics discussing installing the D3 in them already. Some of the info might help you out.

The first question comes from some advice I got from passatworld forums, Someone told me the AVIC-D3 includes a mounting cage of sorts that will work just fine for mounting the AVIC-D3 in my 03 Passat, Is this true?

yes, you need the cage for mounting it in the VW. You can pick one up from pioneer's website here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/Navigation/Accessories/ADT-VA133

Secondly, Short of taking out my headliner and drilling holes in the roof is there a better way to mount the Sirius antenna?

The antenna doesn't have to be mounted on the outside of the car. You can mount it up on your dashboard. As long as it's under glass and not metal, it should still get plenty of signal.

Thirdly, what PAC controls do I need to purchase in order to get my steering wheel controls to function correctly?

I don't know.

Fourthly, What Classic Ipods are 100% compatible with the D3? For instance will the Gen 6 classic work?

None of the current ipods work 100% with the D3 as of now. Any of the older ones will work, 5.5 gen and below.

Fifthly, what is the 15GB advertised by so many resellers used for?

There is no internal memory. They are either lying, or referring to the 2 dual layer nav disks in a sideways manner to trick people into thinking there is.