AVIC411.com

AVIC D3 and IPOD 160GB Classic

OK, new to the forum, lots of good info you guys have, thanks for being here! Yes I have SEARCHED this topic, but am still looking for more detailed info:

As installed from the dealership in my 07 Tahoe, I cant watch video while driving...fine, i understand that. I get a message during startup about an 'imporper connection to the P brake lead'. Is this a concern?

I have two Q's:

1. How much might someone charge to bypass video/driving? It seems simple but I dont want to pull my car apart..no time...or want to start a fire! I live in chicago, any thoughts?

2. DVD plays fine while in park, but IPOD ONLY passes sound, no video....even when parked. I have the cable, and have followed the instructions on how to begin the movie on the ipod and proceed from there. I have the iPOD using TV out but no dice. Any ideas? I have not gotten it to work with the car on/off/pbrake/acc nothing!!

Does this sound like a POD issue, or HU issue?

The IPOD says something like 'please attach your video accessory now' or something along those lines...but it is, and music works fine. I do get the 'viewing from front screen strictly prohibited' but I expect that for now.

Anyone seen any of these issues? I cant figure it out.

Thanks in advance to any reply you might have.

Brad

brad@mc.net

I'm pretty new to this whole in-dash thing as I just got my first unit installed yesterday but to try and answer a question or two:

1. How much might someone charge to bypass video/driving? It seems simple but I dont want to pull my car apart..no time...or want to start a fire! I live in chicago, any thoughts?

-I hear you. Your local car audio shop can probably do it. The one that did mine charged 65.00 which I refused to pay...got him down to 45.00 but it should be much cheaper considering it's a pretty simple process or so I've heard. But if you're like me and don't want to mess around taking the dash apart then it might be worth the money,

Not sure about your other Q's, sorry :-/

Don't be scared of the bypass! It can literally be done in less than 5 minutes. Very easy, with instructions found here on avic411.com

What you should be scared of is having a 160gb ipod connected to the D3. I have mine with 132gigs worth of music (approximately 35,000 songs, well organized, album art, etc), and scrolling through artists is a HUGE BURDEN.

A HUGE oversight in my opinion not being able to search for artist and jump right to them.

Anyone come up with any tricks on sifting through artists/albums with HUGE libraries? Of course playlists are fine, but on the fly suggestions may prove helpful.

Create a playlist for each letter of the alphabet, and put all the songs by the artists who's names start with that letter in their corresponding playlist. That will cut down on searching for artists, because you can narrow down the list you're scrolling through by a LOT by selecting one of those playlists before searching for the specific artist you want.

Yeah, you should be able to use the "smart playlist" function in itunes to let it fill up the playlists for you. But you have to create each smart playlist yourself, all 26 of them (27 if you have artists that start with numbers).

Example: Create a smart playlist named "A", and set it up to include all songs who's artist name starts with A.

Has anyone tried contacting pioneer to see if they have a firmware update to resolve this issue or to see if they are atleast aware and working on the problem as I just got my 160g ipod classic and I agree with everyone, it sucks not having full ipod control like it is supposed to.

lol... good luck with getting anything out of Pioneer.

Has anyone tried contacting pioneer to see if they have a firmware update to resolve this issue or to see if they are atleast aware and working on the problem as I just got my 160g ipod classic and I agree with everyone, it sucks not having full ipod control like it is supposed to.

lol... good luck with getting anything out of Pioneer.

well l emailed them from the support center anyway just to see all though im not holding my breath, will post if they reply on the issue as i put a link to this thread also

This is what I got from them so far:

AVIC-D3 iPod® Control is compatible with iPod® 5th generation/Firmware Version 1.2.1, a 3rd iPod® Version

iPod® mini Version 1.4.1, iPod® nano 1st generation Version 1.3.1, iPod® nano 2nd generation Version 1.1.3.

Thank You,

Adhama

Customer Service Representative

There is no support or compatibility for the Classic or iPhone yet.

I have asked about there plans for the new ipods and am waiting on a response, will post when ii know.

Given the revelation that there's no sign of a new D-series unit this year, they might include a patch/fix with the upgrade disks when they come out. But that's just speculation, really. I mean, they could just simply not give a shit that apple's new ipods don't work properly with their products.