AVIC411.com

Installing/Uninstalling

So I've worked up the nerve to install my AVIC-Z2 myself when it arrives in the mail on Friday, but I'm still worried about messing up my car wiring.

I'm concerned with the taping into the vss, reverse, and parking brake wires.

First, do you get a good connection with the connectors provided with the AVIC?

Second, if you want to remove the AVIC how would you go about disconnecting all of the taps to those wires and making those wires still work properly? (solder them together again?, crimp?)

I'm just new to all of this and don't want to seriously mess up wiring that will mess up my car, but I still want to do this install myself so I can become more knowledgeable.

All advice greatly welcomed.

I've got the wiring diagrams, I know which wires to connect, just want to know if the connectors sent with the AVIC make a good tap connection or if I should do something else.

Also I want to know about how to remove the taps. I think I've researced enough to know how to install it properly, just really don't know how to un-tap the wires if I ever uninstalled it.

Pretty new on all of this so...

I think soldering is the best connection out there with shrink tubing. Should be fun soldering behind the dash!

The harness will be easier as I have a adapter coming from crutchfield which I can solder to the avic unit without being inside the car. Too bad it arrives 4 days after my unit. The holidays messed up the shipping on it.

So cntrylvr79, I've seen you giving people wiring information in the other sections, wrong place to ask, but have any info for a 1999 Nissan Sentra XE. I've already found my VSS purple/red, and the parking brake is a no brainer. I'm still looking for reverse without going to where my back up lights are.

And is there a best place to connect to all of these wires?

YOu said you have vss so no need there. Parking brake, I'd say just bypass it. Reverse, nothing I have lists anything for a 99 sentra. Most nissans though use either green/white or green/yellow for reverse. That wire would be in the bundle of wires on the passenger side of the car running to the back. Just test to make sure.

You need to be careful with the reverse wire. The Z2 wants 12V on that line. Many vehicles only put 12V at the light itself. It uses modules on the CAN Bus to control them and the signal to the module is only 5V. Just be careful. You don't want to knock out a driver.

You need to be careful with the reverse wire. The Z2 wants 12V on that line. Many vehicles only put 12V at the light itself. It uses modules on the CAN Bus to control them and the signal to the module is only 5V. Just be careful. You don't want to knock out a driver.

Not in a 99. The majority of cars made right now still use plain old +12v for the reverse.

Thanks guys for everything,

I didn't read the last few posts, but my AVIC-Z2 is now installed and I must say for someone that has never done anything like this in his life.......I actually didn't break anything!!!!!!!!

It runs great, like it should, and looks decent in the dash. I say decent cause I just don't care for the interior of my car to begin with. It was given to me by my grandmother cause she doesn't drive anymore. Can't argue with a free car with low miles and great gas mileage!

However, I can no longer use my cup holders cause the cups would block the screen. I knew this getting the unit. I just have to think about modifying the interior and adding some cup holders somewhere else.

I originally wanted to switch my radio location to where my climate controls are, giving a better view of the screen and allowing use of the cup holders, but that was a little too much out of my talent.

Anyways, I was going to connect the reverse on the drivers side where it runs to the back, but there were so many cables nicely bundled together and space looked tight that i just ended up running the wire to my reverse light. I almost didn't have enough length so perhaps I need to reroute it a little better.

VSS is also connected and e-brake. I know everyone bypasses but I just didn't want to mess with it cause don't I have to install a file on my unit? I just don't want to break it!

Anyways...I can always just pull up my brake a little if I need to do anything.

Thanks for everything!