AVIC411.com

Loading more than 3 pics on the Z2?

Ok, I know this topic has probably been beat to death but I can't seem to find what I'M trying to do. Is there any way to load more than three pictures onto the Z2. I have done all the pics in jpeg and of course the 100mb "junk" folder but all I can get the Z2 to do is add pics to the nav,splash and av screen. Can I put all my pics in the radio and have a list to choose from AFTER I eject the cd?

I'm pretty sure there is a way. At least I'm pretty sure that the default pictures are stored on the HDD and not somewhere on ROM...and if so, you'll definetly need to unlock the HDD to do it.

[edit]Actually, I think the default/preloaded images are stored in ROM. And the custom backgrounds that you load up are being renamed and stored in the USER partition under the BG folder

-AVCustomized.BMP

-NAVICustomized.BMP

I believe the splash image in stored in another partition. I only have my USER and MSV partitions backup at the moment. So I'm not sure exactly where the splash image is stored.

meaning, no...I don't think you can store all your pics on the HDD and randomly change them without inserting your burned disc...At least not until someone can decompile the code that writes to the ROM(firmware)...

With an unlocked drive connected to your computer (via IDE or even an external USB connector), go to the first partition (LDATA) and find folder \BG\PREINSTALL. Make a new folder in there called \BG\PREINSTALL\ORIGINAL and move out the pictures you dont want (only 20 are allowed) Put your own pictures in the \BG\PREINSTALL directory in BMP format 500x240 resolution. Now these will be available to you at any time for any screen.

With an unlocked drive connected to your computer (via IDE or even an external USB connector), go to the first partition (LDATA) and find folder \BG\PREINSTALL. Make a new folder in there called \BG\PREINSTALL\ORIGINAL and move out the pictures you dont want (only 20 are allowed) Put your own pictures in the \BG\PREINSTALL directory in BMP format 500x240 resolution. Now these will be available to you at any time for any screen.

Sweet....I'magonna have to try that!!

• 4 months later...
Has anyone verified that this method works? I'm trying to save a bunch on the HDD somewhere but I can't seem to find which folder to put them in :?

I've done it - it works.

Put your BMP's (not JPG's - you have to convert them) in LDATA:\BG\PREINSTALL

Thanks Inferno999 8) Just to be clear, do I have to physically convert, or just rename .jpg to .bmp?

Thanks Inferno999 8) Just to be clear, do I have to physically convert, or just rename .jpg to .bmp?

The files must be in BMP format, which means you must physically convert them. Changing the extension is not enough.

Weird...I just did that and loaded the sled and I got a "Jpeg file is corrupt" message, even though I converted them.

The files are there and selectable, but the HU wont open them. I'll keep messing with them.

Weird...I just did that and loaded the sled and I got a "Jpeg file is corrupt" message, even though I converted them.

The files are there and selectable, but the HU wont open them. I'll keep messing with them.

I'm not sure, but they may need to be in 8.3 format (8 characters for filename w/no spaces).

• 2 months later...

Guys I'm having the same problem. The convert to BMP by opening them with Microsoft Office Picture Manager and exporting them to BMP. The names are no longer and no spaces then the stock names. They're 500x240.

The HU recognizes them and shows the name. But when I click them it says "JPEG is Corrupt".

I'm at a loss, what do I do to fix this?