AVIC411.com

Back-up camera kills GPS

So, I know that you can drive around with the split screen function to view the camera and map. I added an extra switch to activate the back-up camera function while driving to see it in full screen. It just parallels (did I spell that right?) the reverse light switch. When I flip the switch while driving, the unit stops navigating. When the map comes back up, the position is the same as when you first flipped the switch. Then a few seconds later, it recognizes and corrects (if you're moving fast enough).

Normally, I would not squawk something so stupid, but I am also using this video input to display other information while I drive. It's this whole crazy thing that I'm building which if works will be discussed at a later time. It's pretty frigin cool, though. Only problem is that when I decide to look at this stuff while I drive, the NAV is all jacked.

Anybody heard of any firm or software updates that may help me?

You are into all that high tech stuff. I would just like to get my backup camera to turn on every time I put it in reverse. When my unit gets hot, uno normal operating temps, the reverse switch does not work.

Sent the unit to Pioneer to be fixed and they did not find a pronlem. So when my unit is cold it works fine, when it gets about 70 then the backup does not come on when in reverse. Any ideas?

From what little research I was doing last night, I did see a LOT of complaints about temperature related video problems.

My question to you is; Do you not even see the "caution, image may appear reversed" at the top of the screen.

I'm just wondering if your unit is not physically switching or maybe just the video is not getting there. Like if the "brain" to the camera is failing and not the Avic (assuming your using a Pioneer camera).

From what little research I was doing last night, I did see a LOT of complaints about temperature related video problems.

My question to you is; Do you not even see the "caution, image may appear reversed" at the top of the screen.

I'm just wondering if your unit is not physically switching or maybe just the video is not getting there. Like if the "brain" to the camera is failing and not the Avic (assuming your using a Pioneer camera).

ok if i read ur post right then ur problem is the navigation stops when u flip ur reverse switch right? thats because the avic thinks you should be backing up. are you saying that ur switch powers up the backup cam or does it only turn on ur reverse wire? the split screen should show ur backup cam whether ur in reverse or not if its powerd up all the time. at least thats what i can remember from my backup cam fun. good luck

The camera is powered all of the time and the switch just sends a ground into the Avic. I figured it would be a conflict between my speed pulses and the fact that the radio thinks it's backing up. I was hoping there was some type of software upgrade, but the way I'm using the system is kind've taboo, so Pioneer probably doesn't even know about it.

The camera is powered all of the time and the switch just sends a ground into the Avic. I figured it would be a conflict between my speed pulses and the fact that the radio thinks it's backing up. I was hoping there was some type of software upgrade, but the way I'm using the system is kind've taboo, so Pioneer probably doesn't even know about it.

Butters,

No id do not see the objects appeared text. The camera works just fine when it is on split screen, when I put it into reverse it will not switch to full screen. It acts like the reverse wire is not hooked up. But only when it is hot. When it is cold it works like it is suppossed to.

We checked the wires hooked up to the reverse wire on the backup switch and it is correct and has good signal so it is not the wire that runs to the back of the unit, the problem is internal. The AVIC unit does not have any other problems when hot, just the backup camera part.

Yes I do have apioneer camera and it is in perfect condition and all the wires have been checked for possible problems.

Thanks

Sounds like you have a weak transistor or something controlling the switching of that circuit. I wonder how long Pioneer let the unit run for and in what conditions. I would hate to have to remove mine and frigin sent it back a bunch of times. I don't even like to halfway take it out just to run more stuff to it.

If they find no fault then they should be able to replace it with another one. That would be a fair trade, no? A "good" unit with another?