AVIC411.com

So you cant transfer your cell phone address book huh?

Neither can I. I am now convinced that it is the Verizon Motorola cellphone I own. But this thread is not about transfering the address book. It is about what to do if you know you cannot transfer it.

Huh?

Well I spent hours today working with the D3, my phone and the owners manual for the D3 and BTB-2000. I noticed that you can manually add a few numbers into your "preset" area, I think there are 6 slots.

My question is this.....

I am able to add numbers, but that is all. I cannot associate a name with each number. So my ONLY available option is to either manually dial each number every single time I want to use bluetooth in my truck, or memorize the number of the preset? Truth is, I do not have all six of my friends telephone numbers memorized. So when the bluetooth rings and I see 123-456-7890 calling, I have no idea who it is. Surely to God there is a way to edit/assign a name to each of these presets??????

To add insult to injury, there is a "Name/Number" button which toggles between name and number. Since I have not (been able to) assigned any names to each number, when I push the NAME button, each of the six presets shows their individual labels as "NO NAME".

WTF???

I tell you, each time I get into the truck, I have to turn on the cell phones bluetooth function, then I have to make the cell phone discoverable, then I have to hope the D3 autoconnects......so far it has not.....hell....by this time I could have manually made a phone call. Is all ths BT stuff really worth it. YES YES I know my old phone needs to be updated.....

I will probably go buy a new phone....but gosh..one techo purchase perpetuates another and another and another.

Am I doing something wrong or is there really no way to add a name label to each of tghe six presets?

I tell you, each time I get into the truck, I have to turn on the cell phones bluetooth function, then I have to make the cell phone discoverable, then I have to hope the D3 autoconnects......so far it has not

The above statement makes me go hmmmm.

1. Are you turning the bluetooth (BT) of your phone off and on everytime you enter/exit the truck or is the phone doing that itself?

...Maybe it's me but I always have my BT on on the phone. It should be ON before you start your truck.

2. You also have to set your phone up so that when the BTB-200 tries to shake hands with your phone that your phone does not need to authorize. In your phone's BT menu highlight the Pioneer BT Unit2 and find something like INCOMING SECURITY and set that to ALWAYS CONNECT. Or something similar, I am not familiar with Motorolas.

While you are there check your BT profiles. You need object push in order to get contacts over to the BTB. If your phone is older you may not have that profile. You should get your phone flashed and the newest BT available to your model will be updated to your phone and hopefully it will be there. Or buy a new phone like you are thinking.

Also I am assuming you have your phone registered in the first spot of the register list.

People don't seem to realize you have two things you are trying to connect and you have to set both up.

And as whtcrxghst said. It simply is not possible to add text to any phone number you manually punch into those 6 spaces. But if they are in your phonebook then the name does populate it.

alot of verizon phones have problems connecting to the bluttoth. im pretty sure very few even allow you to use all the functions of the bt in the d3

I think it is more accurate to say that Alot of PEOPLE have problems connecting their phones to the bluetooth for various reasons. I have connected several different model Verizon phones and moved contacts. With my phone connected I do have battery and signal strength. As far as "all the functions" the only thing I can think of that I may not have is call logs and the like (I do have Placed Calls functioning) and I could not care less. I think everybody has problems with the voice dialing because of no prompt sounds over the speakers but it does work, you just have to look at your phone to see if the phone got the right contact (or at least I do). And I have heard of only one person that actually has actual assigned ringtones play over the system. Now who was that?

I just spent two hours with a Verizon rep., who accompanied me to my truck to work on the D3. Here is what I learned.

1. I did indeed have my Motorola V325 set up to power bluetooth off automatically if it did not connect with another device within x minutes. I was able to find the set up feature that allows it to stay on permanently. The drawback is shorter battery life.

2. This rep, a reputable friend of mine who has worked in the wireless industry for almost 14 years, told me that Verizon (she is a regional exec.), does indeed intentionally block wireless data transfer via bluetooth so they can make more money selling ringtones, etc (thus preventing people from buying them and sharing). However, she did mention that Verizon is involved in a lawsuit because of these blocking policies and that she has been told wireless transfer will be allowed within the 2008 year.

3. She also mentioned about 4-6 phones which were produced with wireless transfer "allowed," one of which was the Blackberry Pearl. The others I do not remember models numbers. She acknowledged that my phone the V325 does not allow my telephone book to be transmitted to the D3.

4. Now that the bluetooth power on function has been properly set up, I h ave successfully been able to get into my truck and within a minute or so, have the D3 acknowledge the V325, and connect to it with no additional work.

I am very happy about that, but I am sorely disappointed that there is no way to edit the name of one of the 6 presets. IMO, the lack of ability to edit/add a name/label to any preset is just pure failure. Especially when industry engineers know darn well that bluetooth is a great, albeit less than perfect, technology and compatibility is a known issue.

Thank you to all those that responded.

2. Verizon does indeed intentionally block wireless data transfer via bluetooth so they can make more money selling ringtones, etc (thus preventing people from buying them and sharing). .....Verizon is involved in a lawsuit..... wireless transfer will be allowed within the 2008 year.

3. She also mentioned about 4-6 phones which were produced with wireless transfer "allowed," one of which was the Blackberry Pearl. She acknowledged that my phone the V325 does not allow my telephone book to be transmitted to the D3.

4. Now that the bluetooth power on function has been properly set up, I h ave successfully been able to get into my truck and within a minute or so, have the D3 acknowledge the V325, and connect to it with no additional work.

I am very happy about that, but I am sorely disappointed that there is no way to edit the name of one of the 6 presets. IMO, the lack of ability to edit/add a name/label to any preset is just pure failure.

Thank you to all those that responded.

Dude! I found your manual for a Motorola V325 online and it looks like you are lucky to even have BT! In fact I can't even find anything pertaining to BT in the manual. I hate to say it but that is one of the most basic phones I have seen. How old is it? I pretty much suggest a new phone.

EDIT: I now found the manual for a Motorola V325I which is what you must have because the 325I does have BT whereas the V325 does not. The manual also notes that you DO NOT have OBJECT PUSH so you will not be able to move any contacts from your phone to the BTB.

But I would like to touch upon a couple things you mentioned in your last post. (I have edited in the interest of shortening this post.)

2. Verizon has already sent mailers out mentioning that they are graciously opening their BT because markets, etc. have changed and they are happy to serve! The "crippling" of BT had mostly to do with transferring products purchased through VCast etc. like ringtones and music. What that "opening" actually means to the consumer remains to be seen.

3. OK. My LG VX8600 (which is almost 2 years old..and flashed), wife's BB 8830 (new), neice's LG VX 8800 (new) and a couple others I forget (all verizon), The BB Pearl and whtcrxghst's Motorola and a bunch more on this site (all verizon) all work just fine. Is that the 4-6 your friend mentioned? My point is that different models of Verizon phones do pair and transfer contacts but, in my experience, none of them will transfer ringtones or music to other phones (which are completely different file types then contacts), this is what I am sure your friend was talking about.

And as far as her acknowledging your phone does not allow your phonebook to be transmitted is a shortfall of your phone due to it's technology, not Verizon's BT policy. EDIT: Once again because your phone does not have the OBJECT PUSH profile.

4. YAY!!!! At least something good came from all of this.

As for the last statement quoted......Welcome to Pioneer's AVIC D3. This hyar unit is one of the most un-intuitive devices ever made. We have become so used to things kinda just working and easy to figure out. This thing is not. And the manual....OY VEY! I own a PIO 50" Plasma Tv and it is one of the most beautiful things I have ever owned. I am just blown away the same company made the AVIC D3.

I can definitely feel your frustration but your problems are due to a learning curve and your phone's functionality in regards to BT. You have got to be getting close to the end of your 2 year contract so when that happens get a new phone and I am sure things will go much better and if you run into problems you can come here and I am sure somebody can help you out.

Peace! Two fingers. V

Toytaco,

Great response. Informative and very helpful. You are correct. I have the V325i. I had to look up the manual to find out also!. The phone itself has no model number on it that I can find.....so before anyone rolls their eyes....I just took the Verizon reps work for it....V325 vs. V325i.

It may not have been clear, but I already knew the V325i did not have Object Push technology. I just went to the Verizon rep to find out a few things. This forum allowed me to realize ahead of time that just because one purchases a new phone from Verizon, does not mean it will solve the phone book transfer problem for me and the D3. So that is good. Unfortunately, I got the "4-6 models" answer and yes, three of those you quote were the ones she mentioned (BB's and the LX you quote). I mean, I knew it was time for a phone....I just didnt want to buy the wrong one.

I now know my contract is up in July. Maybe this whole issue will be over with Verizons policies by then too. I am not one to want a ton of features on my cell. My other gadgets are a different story. The Verizon phones that do allow this are super expensive. I would be perfectly happy with my current phone, if the D3 allowed me to manually enter (and label) 10 or so contacts. I do not need 200. So rather than buying a $400 dollar phone, I would rather trash the D3 and buy a nicer unit. THis D3 was installed by the dealer as an upgrade to a factory stereo for my new car purchase....so I didnt get much choice.

About the D3 and its user friendly design......I am VERY savvy when it comes to technology. I have been amazingly frustrated with the D3. For one, the screen shots in my Owners Manual do not even match the user interface of the D3....not by a long shot. I have no idea when my D3 was produced, but I would guess as an early model, one where the change over from an earlier design was still in affect...or something. I am also amazed that a lot of the paragraphs and instructions lead you to x page....where you read and read...only to find out it is sending you to y page for the same issue.....then so on and so on.... I also found that many times, when it gives an instruction in writing, it starts off with "push x button" rather than starting from the beginning menu.....so you are sitting there going..."where is that damned button..I dont see it." I realize that every single function cannot be illustrated from the start up screen..but there has to be a better way...such as "From the Navi Menu, push x."

I am so frustrated with the D3, I am already researching alternative units. unfortunately, I am reading a lot of frustration from other models and other companies as well.

Can anyone speak to other units that are stars on the market.....price is not an issue.

Toytaco, thanks again.

About the D3 and its user friendly design......I am VERY savvy when it comes to technology. I have been amazingly frustrated with the D3.

I hear ya. I like to think I am pretty savvy also and have experienced the same level of frustration. The manuals are terrible (screen shots in manual do match my D3 though). It has taken some time, some tweaking and some learning but I now love the D3. Especially compared to that clunky 6 CD changer that came with the truck. BUT don't get me started on the Navi!!! I don't even use it other than a sort of database for searching addresses and phone numbers. Other than that it pretty much stinks.

And you are welcome. Glad I could help.

Technology Savvy??? My mom can't figure out tivo and still loves driving my car because she gets to use the D3. What exactly are you having trouble understanding?

Where do I start the list?

I guess essentially, to me good technology is not one that you have to spend hours and hours reading a manual on how to use it. For example.....if my Mother started to use the D3, there is nothing that tells her to apply the parking brake to access half the damn menus. Do not get me started on the political BS that has our society protecting us from ourselves. Okay so yes the parking brake issue is covered on the cover of the manual.....but lets say I am driving down the road and my passenger starts to toy with the D3.....do you think they are going to understand why they cannot input an address to navigate to until I pull off the road? No. It will require a discussion and explanation from me? That sucks. And thats is NOT intuitive. Period. You cannot even access the menu to change the time of day! Every car I have ever owned does not prevent you from changing the time unless the parking brake is applied. My 2004 BMW had no locked menus on its full double DIN screen.... Yes it made you read its silly little liability statement each time you started the unit, but that was the extent of it.

Many of my issues have to do with how poor the interface of the D3 is.....it is difficult for me to say sitting on my couch, exactly the issues...but the first one that comes to mind is the telephone call logs. When one navigates to the menu, where "log" is available....then one pushes this button, you get a list of calls....a history. The top of the screen shows you that it is for ...lets say....missed calls. 90% of the D3 screen has no other buttons.....its totally black and blank. So what if I want to get my received calls history? What about dialed calls history? Where is the button??? There is plenty of room for another stupid button on the menu...right beside"log"...but NOooooooooooooooooooo Pioneer had to make the navigation such that one MUST continue to push "LOG" then you get dialed call history....push again.....then you received call history. How intutitive is that? It is not.....Period. Bad design....and not easy to figure out without reading well into the manual for something that could have been handled with a better interface.

I remember when web page design was in its infancy....one of the original, fundamental schools of design thought was that in your quest for a user interface, if the user has to navigate through more than three menus to get to the desired information, then you should reconsider your design. You have to navigate through three buttons just to get to the last call history I described above. Maybe I am just not as accepting of bad design and whereas some are more willing to overlook silly flaws in the name of the rest of the D3 goodies.....I dunno.

Next is the fact that ones preset telephone numbers cannot be labeled with a name (yes I know they CAN come from your bt transmitted phone book). Since I am unable to send my phone book....I have six 10 digit telephone numbers programmed into my presets.....and am not ashamed to admit I don't have all six recognized by number alone...so (today for example) my sister calls me from her cell phone....before I pushed the answer button I had to stare at this strange number of an incoming call. Only when I answered it did I know who it was. Please dont tell me if I had a newer cell phone this would not be an issue! If Pioneer had added an edit button to the interface it would be INTUITIVE to use...but NOPE....they could not do it. YET....YET....one can edit addressed in navi, edit your VIN number in set up.....edit the clock...add telephone numbers to addresses in the Navi.....direct dial a number by pushing on the keypad....etc. Come on..this is terrible and you know it.

My 2004 BMW had better controls for its navigation and the only input device was a knob on the dash like the volume knob on the D3. Tell me how that is possible with a touch screen? I have to touch more buttons just to get to a menu point on a touch screen than with an analog control knob?

To me, this is all very sad. Because the D3 has some very strong points, mainly in the control department. Control an ipod, a phone, major tweaking of the audio, sub, staging, etc. The list goes on.

I feel like the D3 just had an 90 yard pass and fell short of the goal line. All because of a small set of fundamental oversights. Poor, very poor.

So yes....very technologically savvy.....but obviously more observant than some.

Lots of OEM manufacturers now lock out you from inputting addresses now. I know lots of vehicles in the past didn't, so I am assuming lawyers are behind it all.

As for your ipod gripes, you don't know how lucky you have it. Many including myself have suffered through years of much, much worse. There are other aftermarket brands that have a prettier display with album art, but they aren't as simple to use, so you will likely have issues with those as well.

My bluetooth works great, sorry your phone was made before the technologically savvy thought it would be a good idea to send contacts to other devices. Thats all I can really say. Again, if you think our interface is bad, try the eclipse/parrot piece of shit or the Alpine button

Sounds like many of the complaints are personal preference (I can enter addresses much faster through the touchscreen that I could on the analog knob you described that I had in my m3.)

You'll get used it. If you don't, you will buy something else, and then have complaints about that too. Nothing is perfect, but I don't think you realize how good you have it considering what you paid for the D3