AVIC411.com

Avic Z2 - intermittent audio/no audio

Sometimes I have audio, sometimes I don't. Not really any rhyme or reason. For example, when I was leaving the house for work this morning, I started the car, head unit came on...but no audio. Turned the car off, turned it back on, head unit came on...audio is fine.

I am using the speaker outputs (not using the amplifier outputs). All of my speaker connections are good. I am not having trouble with any particiular speaker. I either have sound from all the speakers, or I have no sound at all.

Is this a common problem with these units?

Thanks,

Scott

Unit is installed in a 1995 Impala SS and using GM02B wiring harness.

Noticed you don't have a location listed. Are you in cold weather. I just started having problems with my audio when the temps went below freezing. When I start the truck up in the morning, my left channels are out. When I jack up the volume, they go on and then they are fine for the whole day, or until the truck has been left out in below 30 temps again.

Same thing happened to my GF. I did the wiring / soldering myself and swore all connections were good. Then I went back in there and found that, while the solder connections were still solid, the wiring harness had unclipped itself and was smidgen loose. Reseated it and boom. Problem solved.

Might not be your problem, but something to check.

Sometimes I have audio, sometimes I don't. Not really any rhyme or reason. For example, when I was leaving the house for work this morning, I started the car, head unit came on...but no audio. Turned the car off, turned it back on, head unit came on...audio is fine.

I am using the speaker outputs (not using the amplifier outputs). All of my speaker connections are good. I am not having trouble with any particiular speaker. I either have sound from all the speakers, or I have no sound at all.

Is this a common problem with these units?

Thanks,

Scott

Unit is installed in a 1995 Impala SS and using GM02B wiring harness.

Also might want to check the connections on the speakers. If they're loose, touching each other or metal then that will cause the same problem. If could also be a bad speaker as well. Basically what sounds like is happening is the avic is sensing a problem on one of the speaker lines, and shutting down the internal amp to prevent damaging it. Internal amp shuts down and viola no sound out of any of your speakers.

i think cntrylvr is on track, with newer headunits theres a built in protection, if the wiring grounds out or touches each other it will shut audio down. maybe being cold, maybe humidity, maybe maybe... you can often check by testing the speakerwires when they are NOT connected to the head unit.

The other thing off the top of my head would be to see if you have pinched a wire back behind the radio.When you start the car it doesn't work but you drive a bit & turn the car off to have the radio turn back on the next time you turn your key back on & now the deck has moved just enuf to come out of protection mode.

joe r