AVIC411.com

VSS on a 1985 Corvette

I searched high and low on this forum already, but found nothing about my Vette. I'm putting an N3 into my C4, but I don't believe I have the right VSS. I did some searching already online, and found where the VSS sensor hooks up to the dash, but unfortunately that doesn't work with the nav unit. I've already tried unhooking the dash and wiring the VSS input on the N3 to the harness, but had no luck.

I went to a professional installer, and he pointed me here. I really don't want to pay him to do it, though I will eventually if I can't do this myself. But it's become my mission to do this myself, because I don't like others doing work on my car. Anyway, my installer said I'd need to hook a relay up, and basically jimmy-rig a VSS signal.

Do any of you have any instructions, or advice on doing this? I would appreciate it.

BTW, I tried searching and sifted through 8 pages of Corvette information, however most of them are C5's and C6's.

I dont see how you can "fake" a vss signal with a relay, that doesnt make any sense. It uses a pulse signal on newer cars. I dont even know if that car uses an electronic vss. If you can get the car on a lift look at the rear of the tranny near the output shaft and try to find a little connector with one or 2 wires coming out, thats the vss. If it has a big thick hard wire coming out its a mechanical vss and you wont be able to hook it up. You dont really need it anyway

• 2 weeks later...

im not sure on the 85vette but it is very possible to replicate a VSS signal. not very easy, but possible. i have done several aftermarket cruise controls that require a add on VSS "kit" (two magnets.. one mounted to a fixed point under the cars suspension, one to a rotating or moving (axle, or any suspension that moves) in the direction of the vehicle moving forward. actually pretty basic, not reliable b/c the magnets evetually fall out. all the "ol school" installers feel me. check rostra.com good luck.

Unfortunately that's what I ended up doing, speed pulse generator from JVC. It magnetizes the belts in the tires, and then reads that on the transmitter. Not the best system, but I was actually surprised how accurate it turned out to be. I was within 2 mph at all times of my gauges.

I think the problem I'm having with the car's VSS is that it's probably the wrong output voltage. I'm sure a simple amplifier would have fixed the issue, but I don't know the range the VSS should be in, so I didn't bother with that.