AVIC411.com

Security - NONE !

My Avic D1 was stolen and I've been doing all kinds of upgrades to my car to provide a major surprise to the next skunk breaking into it.

Looking at the new Z1 however I realize why Pioneer is not interested in keeping a list of stolen sets: The serial numbers are on paper stickers that are very easy to peel off! :cry:

These things are expensive and Pioneer could do a lot more to discourage theft.
In addition to a permanent Serial number, each unit should have a unique pin # whithout which it would be impossible to activate it after an initial installation or after a reconnection.
If lost, this code # should only be available to registered owners with proof of purchase and only after proper identification and only from the Pioneer head office.

Skunks would know this and move on to easier targets.
[quote name="Cosmic Gecko"]Just take the hard-drive out. That'll stop 'em!

:lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]
'Hope they never steal yours but I bet you'd take this issue a little more serious if they did. Total damage to the car was over $2,500 plus the navi.

Insurance will go way up to Avic owners once more of these get stolen.

The word needs to get back to Pioneer that more has to be done to discourage theft :!:
I'm sure he's taking is serious, we all read this thread becuase it's something that we're all worried about. I feel for you and agree that Pioneer needs to setup something in the software to prevent this.

On the Hard Drive removal though, I think this is a great idea, how easy or tough is it to remove and re-insert? anyone have problems doing this?
[quote name="chunet"]
On the Hard Drive removal though, I think this is a great idea, how easy or tough is it to remove and re-insert? anyone have problems doing this?[/quote]

It's kind of a pain. You need #8 Torx to unscrew the 2 torx bolts holding the hard drive cover. And the unit won't boot without the cover (I learned this the hard way).

So every time you want to remove the hard drive, it's 2 screws to pull the cover (which, anyone who knows the Z1 knows it won't work at all without the cover) and then the drive just slides out. But unless you leave the face open, no one would even know something was gone and if it was missing, would a thief even care? Would he know how worthless the Z1 is with the little open hole in the dash?

I would be more interested in seeing a fake cover for over the front that looked like a crappy stock stereo.
Saw this on Ebay thought it looked cool but they dont ship to the US
[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-DOUBLE-DIN-CAR-CD-PLAYER-WX-C570R-SECURITY-COVER_W0QQitemZ180009285689QQihZ008QQcategoryZ39763QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-DOUBLE-DIN-CAR ... dZViewItem[/url]

Im going to see about creating some molds and trying to make some custom covers. I'll post pics once I get something together.
If I had the time and/or the money, this sounds like a golden opportunity for someone to make a little bit of money here. Why don't one of you people with a lot of time and money on your hands, market this the way Ducatiboy marketed his headlight flasher. Seems simple enough to come up with a fake double din cover that would slip over the entire AVIC-Z1 and look like and old ugly ass radio with manual knobs and all sticking out. This is better than just hanging a plastic cover over. Again, crooks are not smart always. In fact there are undoubtably some crooks on the forum reading these posts and coming up with ideas. Stealing is stealing. Whlie they want what they want when they want it, it is not the worst thing that happens to them if they get an AVIC-Z and it didn't have a drive in it. In the end, you, the person who rightfully owned the unit, is without the device and your insurance company is not going to keep giving you a replacement one unit and paying to have it installed. I was disappointed to see the two non-serious remarks made earlier in this thread.

If you add it up, the AVIC-Z1 can quickly become unattractive. Let's see:

1.) High retail cost ($2,249.99 US). Yes, you can find it for less, but you are rolling the dice with warranty issues if not bought from an authorized distributor for Pioneer.

2. Need for an extra auto insurance rider to cover the expensive unit

3. Can't use all of the features without buying a circuit bypass hack.

4. Can't trust storing your home address and any other really important information just in case the unit is stolen, you don't want all of that in the hands of a crook.

5. No PIN authentication mode for when you have your vehicle valet parked or drop it off at the garage to have it serviced. You now have to work out a deal with the garage manager to have him sign a paper that lists all of what is in/on the vehicle AND show it to him, so that when you get the car back, all of that stuff is still there. Pain in the ass to do that and doesn't inspire a lot of trust between you and your mechanic.

6. May need to tint your windows to help hide it.

7. Need to get creative in hiding/mounting your GPS antenna which gives away that you have a higher end unit.

8. May need a better car alarm to help prevent someone frmo easily getting in and taking it.

9. If you bolt it in too securely, the thief will get mad and take out the frustration on the rest of your car's dash, seats, windows and outside paint job. Sladh your tires, etc.

10. If enough get stolen, have to subsidize that cost to the insurance companies, by paying higher rates if you admit to owning an AVIC-Z1

Believe me I learned the hard way that it can happen. Fortunately, it wasn't an AVIC-Z1, but I had taken my Mazda in for service. They needed to keep it over night. I took my Kenwood removable faceplate off of my head unit and removed my 10-discs CD changer cartridge from the unit in the trunk. I came back the next evening to pick up my car and had been ripped of by the people who work there at the dealership. My rear speakers had been stolen. My cd changer was gone, my subwoofer was gone. My equalizer was gone. The left my hardwired cellphone box in the trunk, and they left the front car door speakers. You could see where there once used to be equipment. Wires were even still dangling. I had no recourse. It was my word against the dealership. They swore up and down that they hired only the utmost ethical people to work for them. When the keys to your car hang up on a pegboard and anyone there can just go after-hours and take their sweet time pulling stuff out ... well, it sucks. Just when I thought it could get no worse, I found out that my insurance company (Nationwide at the time) would not cover me. They would replace my factory stereo, but not any of the aftermarket stuff I had. Lesson learned. So, I was just screwed both ways. Now, I always makek a point to get extra insurance just for the aftermarket stuff, take photos of it in the car. Keep my receipts and am prepared to get reimbursed when/if it happens again.

In another situation, my Mazda itself was stolen. They used a crewdriver to pop the lock and crack open the steering column ignition to hotwire it. They took it for a joy ride, but left it abandoned about 6 miles from my house at the time. The funny thing here is they didn't steal any money (some loose change was still there). They didn't take any of the stereo equipment. They didn't take any books that were on the back seat. They took a white Hefty bag full of trash. I had just finished washing and cleaning my car. I had a bunch of rags and dirty paper towels, etc in this garbage bag and I left it in the trunk of my car to be thrown out later. Well, of all of the things, THAT was what they stole, in addition to the car, which again was found a few days later. It even still had a 3/4 tank of gas.

So, I know all about getting robbed. I now have crazy alarms, pagers, LoJack, etc. All just to enjoy what I legally bought with my own hard earned money.
I'm surprised that apparently noone else believes that Pioneer should do much more to make these things less attractive for Skunks. If it was known that the Avic can NOT be put back in service without a pin number then that would go a long way.

Sure we can put a dummy face plate over it and upgrade the alarm system (done all that) and perhaps even make the screen removable.
BUT it is PIONEER who should be more protective of their customers.
Steel a factory navi out of a VW or Audi and you're out of luck without a pin #.

Making dummy faceplates for sale brings up one concern:
Yes, the skunks are reading these threads also. This is where they find info on how to remove Avics and put them back in service without a printed manual. This is also where they would see what mass produced dummy face plates to look for.
Hell, they may even find here where cars are parked with a Z1 by reading enough. I've seen one member post a picture of his full license plate to demonstrate the reverse camera.........

PS:
In my original post I was complaining that the serial # is only on paper stickers. I've since discovered that it can also be seen on an info screen which makes it just slightly more permanent.
[quote name="rapayn1"]
Believe me I learned the hard way that it can happen. Fortunately, it wasn't an AVIC-Z1, but I had taken my Mazda in for service. They needed to keep it over night. I took my Kenwood removable faceplate off of my head unit and removed my 10-discs CD changer cartridge from the unit in the trunk. I came back the next evening to pick up my car and had been ripped of by the people who work there at the dealership. My rear speakers had been stolen. My cd changer was gone, my subwoofer was gone. My equalizer was gone. The left my hardwired cellphone box in the trunk, and they left the front car door speakers. You could see where there once used to be equipment. Wires were even still dangling. I had no recourse. It was my word against the dealership. They swore up and down that they hired only the utmost ethical people to work for them. When the keys to your car hang up on a pegboard and anyone there can just go after-hours and take their sweet time pulling stuff out ... well, it sucks. Just when I thought it could get no worse, I found out that my insurance company (Nationwide at the time) would not cover me. They would replace my factory stereo, but not any of the aftermarket stuff I had. Lesson learned. So, I was just screwed both ways. Now, I always makek a point to get extra insurance just for the aftermarket stuff, take photos of it in the car. Keep my receipts and am prepared to get reimbursed when/if it happens again.
[/quote]

duuude!!! i feel your pain! i had my original pioneer avic-z1 stole out of my car at the dealership and my situation was exactly the same as yours...my word verse theres...i even called volkswagon of america which is supposed to help against shady dealerships and they wernt of no help either GOD JUST THINKIN ABOUT IT AGAIN IS PISSING ME OFF! anyways that was almost 2years ago....SO IF YOU HAVE A VW STAY AWAY FROM BOSSIER CITY VW!!!! IN LOUISIANA
Actually, I'm absolutely serious about removing the hard-drive.. the smileys are just me having the last laugh at the thief who has a fairly "unsellable" unit. (I've read elsewhere on these forums that Pioneer wants $500 for a replacement drive. Ouch!)

As long as we keep the ATA Passwords a secret, and we don't publish images of the HD, this idea will work.

Yep, not having a PIN-code of any sort sucks. If/when I get the courage to desolder the flash chips, I'll see if I can figure out a nastier firmware solution to lock my unit down. I looked at the test pads at the bottom, and they don't appear to be JTAG.. so doing things via brute-force hardware programming it is.

I might make the effort to hide the unit with some tinting and a cover.. but I probably won't make it too difficult to get the unit out -- if there's a determined thief, I'd rather him get the unit without destroying the dash. Let him figure out it's an unusable doorstop _after_ he's gone (and safely away from taking his frustrations out on my car).
Cool. Glad to see you weren't laughing at the man's loss, but rather at the how the thief's face was going to look when he/she discovered that the unit he/she stole is worthless without a drive. However, removing the drive everytime you leave the car is not practical. Not anymore than getting out of the car and removing the battery, siphoning all the gas out, removing the head unit, speakers, subs, amps, wires and antennas just to run into the grocery store to get a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread. I feel bad for anyone installing an AVIC-Z1 in a convertible. Especially if they are the type that likes to leave the rooftop down.
I too have been a victim of the so-called skunks. They stole my car stripped it clean...I mean clean: carpets, head liner, etc. My car looked like it just came out of chassis/body frame line at the factory. The crazy thing is they did this all in 4 hours. I truely believe they staked out my car for days maybe weeks before they decided to steal it. At the time I worked at a strip mall. I parked my car in relatively the same spot everyday I worked and had a consistent schedule. I've accepted the fact that if someone wants your car bad enough...trust me...they're gonna take it. I too believe in not making it too secure (don't want my interior damaged). If they have the balls to break in let'm at it. BUT...if I know I will be in an area I'm not familiar with for an extended period of time, the HDD is coming with me.
I too have been a victim of the so-called skunks. They stole my car stripped it clean...I mean clean: carpets, head liner, etc. My car looked like it just came out of chassis/body frame line at the factory. The crazy thing is they did this all in 4 hours. I truely believe they staked out my car for days maybe weeks before they decided to steal it. At the time I worked at a strip mall. I parked my car in relatively the same spot everyday I worked and had a consistent schedule. I've accepted the fact that if someone wants your car bad enough...trust me...they're gonna take it. I too believe in not making it too secure (don't want my interior damaged). If they have the balls to break in let'm at it. BUT...if I know I will be in an area I'm not familiar with for an extended period of time, the HDD is coming with me.