AVIC411.com

Very Weak Radio Signal

Sorry for all the questions, but if it will bypass the AVIC, how will the reception improve. Also, why is there a lead on the AVIC's harness for it if it could be connected to the red wire in the first place?

Thanks

No, it would bypass the AVIC all together. Red ACC wire from car to the car's power antenna lead, which basically switches on the power antenna whenever you turn the key on.

The antenna signal doesn't bypass the AVIC. The power going to the antenna booster bypasses the AVIC. It's basically using the car's key as the power switch for the booster instead of the AVIC. The reason radios have power antenna outputs is because if they are used, the antenna booster (or retractable antenna, if that's the case) would operate when the radio is powered on or off, not when the car is. Because you don;t need to power the antenna booster if you're driving with the radio off, but it doesn't hurt.

So, I ended up getting the radio working (finally). It just would not work when the blue wires were connected together, so I connected it to the blue/white wire that my subwoofer amp is connected to. That way, at least if I have the AVIC off, the radio amp won't be getting power; versus the red wire, which would have provided constant power whether the unit was on or off (until the ignition was shut off). Does anyone have any ideas why the blue wire to blue wire connection didn't work? I tested it with a voltmeter and verified that my "solder job" was good.

Thanks.

Like I said about 20 posts ago, the antenna output of aftermarket radios provides a limited amount of current. In some cars this is not enough to power up the antenna amplifier. Oh and as HifiSi said the blue/white wire in the case of the avic acts EXACTLY the same as the red wire.