AVIC411.com

Nav Route Conditions, fast or short

I own the Avic-N3 nav system. When going into my system settings there is an option for route conditions either "fast" or "short." I would like to know what is the difference between the two? I assume when you calculate a route it is going to map out the most efficient route possible. I notice when I select a route it doesn’t always give me the best route available. Example, most routes that I calculate in the N3 always direct me to take the street when possible, when the highway is quicker. Keep in mind I do have the VSS wire connected and within the system settings I have the option to avoid highway off.

Shortest is going to choose the shortest route by distance, not taking into account the types of roads you will be on. Fastest will direct you the way it thinks will get you there quickest, so likely on roads with higher speed conditions

I tried both fast or short route conditions previously and still the nav system likes to take me out the way. For example, I traveled from Milwaukee, WI to Chicago, IL which is roughly over a 100mile drive. And the crazy thing is that it wanted me to take the street all the way there which is weird, luckly i did a mapquest lol.