AVIC411.com

Average Install Price in SoCal?

New to the forums, I've been lurking for about a week and gathering some information on the AVIC-Z2. I just got one brand new on eBay for $850. I feel like I stole it :lol:

Anyways, I'm wondering how much it will be to install my Z2 in a '92 Toyota 4Runner. I live in Carlsbad, in North San Diego county. Is there a max price to expect? An average? As you all can tell, I've never really done anything like this (my hobbies lean more toward computers, I build my own and am a Network Engineer for the government) and I'm unsure of myself at this point. I do not want to install this myself, as I'm scared I will

a) Screw something up in my truck;

B) Shock the shit out of myself or

c) Both of the above. At the same time. lol

There's already an older aftermarket Pioneer deck in my truck, if that helps.

Thanks for any info you guys can provide!

I live in San Diego / La Mesa area and shopped around. The cheapest I found for just the head unit was $150 then it goes up from there:

Ipod adapter $45

XM / Navtraffic receiver $85

Bluetooth $40

Seriously the prices are ridiculous. If you read through the install instructions its not all that hard. The only thing you might have a tough time with is the VSS wire. I installed the unit myself in about 3-4 hours and paid a installer at Best Buy $20 to hook up my vss wire.

I will install whatever you have for between $75-$150 depending on the difficulty of the install - You might have to go to Best Buy or another installer for the VSS wire but I will still be cheaper then anywhere u go.

I recommend doing it yourself though. Save yourself the dough....

I hear what you're saying about prices. I've lived in California for about 3 years now and everything really is way more expensive here than just about anywhere else I've lived.

Thanks for the good answer, it was just what I was searching for. I've looked through the install manual that Pioneer has online, and it had me thinking about doing it myself. I suppose I'll have to see about taking my dash apart and poking around in there. Not looking forward to that though. This is my only vehicle so I'm being wary, I don't want to get halfway through and realize I need this or that and have to put it all back together to drive and get my part, know what I mean?

My unit should be at my house by tomorrow or Tuesday, I'll look at it then and see how comfortable I am in taking the dive to do it myself. I appreciate your offer to do it, I just may take you up on that...

wire strippers/Crimpers

Phillips Screwdriver

Flathead Screwdriver

Wire ties

Wire connectors - twist or crimp - I prefer twist

Electric tape (maybe)

Wire harness - Probably already have it with aftermarket deck already in

Metra Double DIN ISO kit 99-9999 Chances are if your Car has a double din Slot for the deck and your current slot is single DIN - you dont have the proper brackets which this kit does. If your opening is something other then Double DIN. Head over to Fry's and get the proper kit for your vehicle.

Head over to a car parts store - Kragen or something and get a electrical toolkit. It should have everything you need for around $20 minus the Kit for your dash and wire harness.

As long as the old pioneer radio was installed properly, using the factory backets and not cutting up the dash, you don't need anything else. The radio opening in the truck is a double din opening. The only thing that's remotely difficult about that truck is the fact you have to remove the entire lower dash from driver side to passenger side to put the deck in.

Well, I decided not to install it myself. :oops:

Just got back from Best Buy. The guy couldn't find my VSS wire but says his books say it's there. I'm not sure because it's an older vehicle.

The price wasn't too bad, about 200 dollars. I have a complaint though:

Asked them to install the mic, they asked if I was using Bluetooth. I told them I didn't have the adapter, but that the system is voice controlled. They didn't install the mic. :evil: I can do that myself easily, it's just the principle of the thing.

I haven't had time to play with my new toy, I got to work at 1 this morning, worked a 14 hour day, and need some sleep. Just thought I'd log on and post an update.

Anyone know how to find my VSS wire? :lol:

green/orange at the ecm behind the glovebox. Odds are they didn't look it's pretty easy to find and access. It's in the second plug down from the top.

Oh and the mic is still useful for voice activated nav. So take it back and tell them to put the mic in. You paid to have it installed right and no mic means it ain't done right.