AVIC411.com

What comes out of the composite video output?

Hello all, I'm thinking of moving from my old Sony ES MD headunit / TV module / DSP module / XBOX w/ xbmc to a Pioneer AVIC-D3. What comes out of the composite output when the unit isn't playing video? Does the same display that is on the head unit (song info, map data) show up or is it blank? I've got rear displays as well and am wondering how it would work.

The AVIC-Z2 can display modes on the rear screen other than the just video. For example, Navigation up front and xBox in back (rear monitor needs its own speakers of course ;) )

Selecting the video for “Rear displayâ€

You can choose either to show the same image as the front screen or to show the selected source on the “Rear displayâ€.

1. [*:1y6badew]Press the AV button to switch Audio operation screen.[*:1y6badew]Touch the source icon and then touch [REAR SCREEN].
    Each touch of [REAR SCREEN] changes the settings as follows:
  • [*:1y6badew]MIRROR — The video on the front screen of the navigation unit is output to the “Rear displayâ€[*:1y6badew]DVD — The video and sound of the DVDs are output to the “Rear displayâ€[*:1y6badew]AV — The video and sound of the AV INPUT are output to the “Rear displayâ€

Restrictions:

• [*:1y6badew]When MIRROR is selected, the following restrictions are applied to “Rear displayâ€.
    • [*:1y6badew]When the TV tuner is connected with AVBUS, its “Video image†cannot be output. (Connect the TV tuner’s rear output to “Rear display†directly.)[*:1y6badew]When selecting [Rear View] in the map display, nothing is displayed.[*:1y6badew]All sounds cannot be output for “Rear displayâ€.[*:1y6badew]There is no picture on “Rear display†while [Picture Adjust] for [back-Camera] is carried out.[*:1y6badew]The map screen navigation images output
      to the “Rear display†differ from standard NTSC format images. Therefore, their quality will be inferior to the images that appear on the front screen.

[*:1y6badew]When DVD is selected, the following restrictions are applied to “Rear displayâ€.

• [*:1y6badew]When a CD or MP3 disc is set in the built-in DVD drive, nothing is output.

[*:1y6badew]When AV is selected, the following restrictions are applied to “Rear displayâ€.

• [*:1y6badew]The “Video image†and sound are output only when the AV INPUT has both video and sound.[*:1y6badew]The “Video image†and sound are output only when the appropriate setting on [AV Input] is [Video].

Don't know about that one... I've heard cases saying that it's only video from the DVD drive, and I've heard cases saying video from aux inputs & the ipod input will be put through to the rear outputs. If nobody replies who's actually tested it and found out, I guess you could (if you already have the unit) test it for yourself, or read up about it in the manual (MANUAL: http://randominsanityonline.com/rifiles.old/users/162/AVIC-D3_Owners_Manual.pdf) or maybe call up pioneer technical support and see what they've got to say about it.

I helped my buddy install his D3 in his car and he has the iPod video and a secondary dvd player source for video inputs into the D3. The D3 was able to output to the secondary rear monitor using the D3 DVD drive, iPod, and the secondary dvd player.

However, as stated above, when there is not video being displayed on the main D3 screen, the rear outputs do not send out any kind of signal at all.

Ummm... This is a D-series board, dude.

I know.

I was answering the following question:

Ahh. Does anyone know of any similar priced competitive decks that do?

lol... since when id the Z2 similarly priced OR competitive with the D3???

Ummm... This is a D-series board, dude.

I know.

I was answering the following question:

Ahh. Does anyone know of any similar priced competitive decks that do?

lol... since when id the Z2 similarly priced OR competitive with the D3???

=P

Hey, it's been coming down... and it does what he wants ;)

Viva la Z2!!!!!

That's cool, I might still go with the D3. I can't find anything really in it's price class. Eclipse makes nice units, but they don't do xvid/divx. I don't like Alpines offerings (removable portable GPS unit? Give me a break).

In regards to calling the vendor. BAD IDEA. I don't really trust customer service of companies to give good answers when it exceeds what might be on the product brochure.

I wasn't really looking to go dual zone.

I will be replacing a Sony Mobile ES MD deck, a Sony mobile ES DSP module, Sony mobile TV tuner, cheapy 7" LCD and maybe an xbox w/ xbmc loaded on it.

I will assume the deck cannot read flac files, but I will search on the subject anyways.

I haven't actually teied it, but I'm fairly sure it doesn't support FLAC... but if it does, it'll tell you in the manual.

Here's a link to the manual if you need any info in there before you buy it:

http://randominsanityonline.com/rifiles.old/users/162/AVIC-D3_Owners_Manual.pdf

EDIT: Just realized I linked to the manual twice in one topic... lol