AVIC411.com

Question about headlight connector.

I recently had a Z2 professionally installed in my vehicle. When I tested the various systems on the Z2, I noticed that turning the headlights on and off did not switch the Z2 between daytime and nighttime modes.

Know that a wire needs to be connected to the headlights for this to work, so I inquired about this with the installer (who works for American Electronics). The installer informed me that he did not connect the headlight wire because systems that use such a connector tend to short out the headlights and can cause up to $1000 worth of damage to the vehicles wiring.

Have any of you heard of any issues or had any problems related to having the headlight wire connected to the headlights? Or is this claim unfounded?

Thanks!

You don't happen to mention what type of vehicle you're dealing with...so I say this with some reservation... WHAT A CROCK OF SH!T!!!

He's being lazy. There are some vehicles who really have some issues getting an illumination signal, but I haven't heard of one yet that couldn't be found or built with a relay, etc. If you're on the CAN bus, you may need to access that for a signal with a PAC adapter or similar. But to tell you it will do a $1000 in damage is irresponsible.

There are some installers here who are very knowledgable. Let us know the vehicle make and model and they may be able to help you or confirm what this guy said.

What's really sad is if he used a wiring harness adaptor (I don't know why we wouldn't want to) the correct wire is provided for him. $1000 worth of damage by hooking up a dimmer lead wire?! I doubt it. At most I would think it would burn up the dimmer pot in the headlight switch. 50 bucks for the witch and 80 in labor to fix, tops. If he grounded it out. For a long time. And smoked the wire first.

If it were me, I would insist he install it correctly, or have his Manager refund your labor money. You paid for a correct install, and should correct it. No questions asked.

Thanks for all the info - it's made me feel better about getting the headlight lead connected. A friend of mine will be helping me do the motion bypass in another week or so, and I'll probably just get the lead connected when doing that.

In the install-guy's defense, I think his actions has more to do with the installation/liability policies of American Electronics than any ignorance on his part.