AVIC411.com

Possible to bypass but KEEP mute for 3rd party Bluetooth?

I am getting an Avic-D3 next week and I want to bypass it but want to keep the mute capability for my Motorola IHF1000 bluetooth module. This unit works great with my iPhone and the Pioneer one doesn't seem to work that great from what I read (with the iPhone that is).

Anyway so can I just keep the mute plug and ground out the plug where you would normally plug the mute wire into, or does the mute wire actually HAVE to be unplugged?

Basically I see no reason why I can't add an additional wire to the plug where you bypass and ground it while keeping the mute wire functionality. I am guessing it is just convenient to use the mute wire since 99% are not using that wire anyway and that is easier than making our own little plug to fit into the hole.

If anyone can let me know or test this for me that would be awesome, this could be a make or break on getting the AVIC-D3.

As whtcrxghst said, you do not need to use the mute wire.

Tested and working for me.

I went to radioshack and bought a spindle of 22 gauge (I think) wires.

It was like 5 bucks.

I stripped about a millimeter of the tip and shoved it into the slot above the mute wire.

It's in there pretty tight.

I then zip tied the bundle of wires together so it would be less likely to fall out.

The other end of the wire is grounded (obviously).

I know most people would not do it this way, as it's prone to fall out, but it has been working on my d3 for the past month.

What I also did was attached the parking break wire from the d3 to a switch.

This switch has two other wires connected to it.

One is grounded, the other is attached to the actual parking break.

This way I have total control of the bypass.

I can set the bypass to be always on, always off, or set it to follow my parking break.

Hope this helps.