AVIC411.com

AVIC-D3 or new Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD?

If navigation was totally out of the question, would you rather have your D3 or get the new model that looks the same but doesn't have Navigation, USB and IPOD capable and only has 2 pair RCA audio outs. It seems like it has less RCA's out the back altogether.

I really like the USB, its cheaper and it may be better then adding a CD-UB100 USB adapter to a AVIC-D3. But I would have to Y the front RCA to my 4 channel amp to have sub control too. I alos wonder if the firmware is better, learing from any issues with the previous models.

I can get into a new AVIC-D3 for about $450 plus the price for a CD-UB100. The new model is gonna be around $500 retail maybe so the cheapest cost would be maybe $450. The same I figure.

Do you ever use the fader or balance? If the answer is no, get the 4000DVD. Has a USB interface according to the website, the D3 it showed up as external and sucked!!!

And if you can get a $999 D3 for $450, how come you can only get the 4000 that retails for half as much for the same price?

Dealer cost - selling bluetooth adapter for $100 - rebate = $450

AVH-4000DVD is gonna probably come in at $450 for a low volume dealer.

I mainly want one of these for 2 things only Back up camera & USB. I'm really not interested in the DVD /movie crap. I actually LOOK at the road when I'm driving.

I have though of getting an Ipod Nano to fill the void of the USB. The USB on the UB decks is fast. I can jump to any song in a second. Love it. But I'm using a dial type knob not a touch screen. Not sure if the AVH 4000 will be using the rotary volume knob to scroll through folders. No documents on the website yet.

It was at CES, the USB interface on the 4000 is nearly identical to the ipod interface on the D3. The volume knob is just a volume knob and mute button.

Dealer cost on the 4000 will be far less than 450. That would be 10% margin. All Pioneer nav seems to be more like 30% and I would assume its probably in the same range, which would put cost much lower

So you saw it there huh? I haven't been to CES since 2000? I used to work for a company called Televideo who bought a company that made the Aladdin A2000 2 way car alarm. It was one of the firsts. Then came Compustar.

So, In your opinion, would you get the D3 and an Ipod (since I guess the USB adapter sucks cuase of external control) or the 4000DVD. Did the 4000DVD have a security code? or anything cool? It looks like a cheapend D3. I know the 2 pair RCA isn't that big of a deal but it falls in line with their low end decks, which makes me think. They did remove alot the the RCAs from the back. From an installer stand point that would be nice since most people just want a screen to show off and they don't add much else and they want to slam these things in cars with no depth and were only a din and a half to begin with.

I have an ipod, so the D3 works great for me. If I had something else, the USB might interest me, but right now I have no desire at all for USB.

As for the preouts, the D3 is 3 X 2 volt. The 4000 is 2 x 4 volt, so its nots like they got totally cheap on us. They really only took out one set of outs and made the remaining two hi-volt instead

No idea about the security code, it really seemed like a D3 with no nav to me