AVIC411.com

Vss wire question

on mine, my nav wouldn't even work right! and it throws things off. in the owners manual says if you don't hook it up theres soething else you got to buy. its a pain in the ass to find that wire however luckily mine is on my radio harness and thanks to people here, i found which one it is!

The D3 has 3 sensors to tell where you are and how fast you are going. GPS, VSS and a gyro sensr inside the unit. The gyro will learn it's thing as you drive all by itself, and the GPS is fairly automatic. If it uses just these two, it will work. But in order for it to be as accurate as it can be, the VSS needs to be connected. In some vehicles, there is no VSS wire that the D3 can read, because it is digital. In these few cases, the VSS can be left off. But if your car has one that is easy enough to connect, then do so and you will not be disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...
In some vehicles, there is no VSS wire that the D3 can read, because it is digital.

Pretty sad information you're feeding these people. All vehicles have a VSS wire that transmits a Digital DC signal...

Whether it be a wheel speed sensor, cam/crank sensor, VSS on the trans it consists of:

A reluctor (toothed wheel)

Magnetic Pickup

Coil of wire

They're all digital...

As for ANALOG signals (TPS, MAP, MAF) most of them need to be converted to Digital DC so the PCM can understand the signal.

In some vehicles, there is no VSS wire that the D3 can read, because it is digital.

Pretty sad information you're feeding these people. All vehicles have a VSS wire that transmits a Digital DC signal...

Whether it be a wheel speed sensor, cam/crank sensor, VSS on the trans it consists of:

A reluctor (toothed wheel)

Magnetic Pickup

Coil of wire

They're all digital...

As for ANALOG signals (TPS, MAP, MAF) most of them need to be converted to Digital DC so the PCM can understand the signal.

When he says "digital" he means they're DATA signals or the vss signal itself is pulsed outside the range the avic can handle (most newer chryslers).