AVIC411.com

Antenna position

Hey guys!

Im brand new to this forum! Looking forward to it!

Anyway, a little history. I own a company that specializes in Bluetooth integration for Lexus. I will be testing various Verizon phones and posting results for you guys on how they work with the Avic Z2 im about to order.

Question for you.. Most people mount the GPS antenna either on the dash or somewhere near it. Reading the install guide, they recommend it be OUTSIDE the car.

Some have gotten away with installing it under the dash.

So we have varying degrees of line of sight. From totally hidden under the dash, to partially clear on the dash/rear view mirror to totally clear on the roof.

Obviously its easiest/cleanest to put it under the dash. Anyone have anything negative to say about this position? Anyone put it under the dash and then have to relocate to being over on top of the dash?

Last question, how often does Pioneer release new maps? How are they uploaded?

Thanks!

Looking forward to working with you guys.

Well my antenna is under my dash on a metal bar that stretches the width of my car. My reception is probably a 9 out of ten. I often have reception of all satelites. However, I only average 1 to two green bars on the signal strength and very rarely get the third green bar. Navigation is very accurate in my vehicle with the atenna's placement.

I'm thinking about getting XM and I've heard that the sattelite radio's antennas really need to be exposed and aren't as forgiving as the gps antennas. So I'm still figuring out what to do with that so no one sees it. But for GPS, it works great!!!

If you want to try under the dash, just make sure there isn't any metal above the antenna that will block the signal.