AVIC411.com

Avic D3 install in a Saab 9-3ss (Pictures)

Well...it was a long week and finally got around to taking some pictures of the installation. A few quick installation notes prior to open the discussion.

1) The installation was performed a Futureshop in Kanata, Ontario.

2) As my car was second in line, I was not really keen on sitting around, so no pictures of the actual installation itself. Sorry guys....but I do have a job and had to get to a wifi'd coffee shop.

So...overall installation experience was above par. The only pitfall is that the central air vent that had to be removed is broken. Futureshop is replacing at cost and it is not a big deal since it is a replaceable component and doesn't affect the overall functionality of the car.

Picture1.JPG

Overall, it is a very clean installation. No wires are exposed. Bluetooth is amazing. Just yesterday, I had a friend of mine in the passenger seat. I called my brother and both my friend and I were heard very clearly. No echo and my brother's voice sounded really well over the speaker system. I didn't hear any static or anything of that nature. The microphone is located here, in the A-pillar:

Picture2.JPG

The GPS and XM antenna are located just in front of the previous SID location. See below.....

Picture3.JPG

Here are a few more pictures of various states that the unit can be in. Please forgive the glare in the pictures.

Picture4.JPG

Picture5.JPG

Picture6.JPG

Picture7.JPG

I am yet to determine if the iPOD location is still the best place for it. If I have to remove it, I will have to remove the unit as there is a hole that was drilled to accommodate the cable. It is long enough to reach the central console storage area, or I might put it in the glove box. I am undecided. For now though, it is out of the way and it is not really visible.

At some point, I may venture down the path and perform a D3 bypass get at all the functionality as oppose to having to stop and lifting the hand brake to get at everything. However, I have not found a need to configure my system while I am driving, so this may be a mute point.

Overall satisfication with the unit: amazing

Sound quality: damn good and much better than stock, especially with BOSE.

Was it worth it: definitely.

Now, where did I get each bit:

Fascia kit and wiring harness: www.kalogeropoulos.gr

XM Satellite and Bluetooth Kit: two different resellers on EBAY

Pioneer Avic D3 + iPOD: Futureshop

This is not your average install since the components were sourced from various places around the world, but it does show and prove that it is possible to install an aftermarket unit as long as you are willing to get the parts you need from the right places. It is more difficult for us North Americans Saab owners then it is for our European breathren.

My only task left is to transfer my XM subscription from the old unit to the new unit and I am set.

Enjoy and would appreciate your comments.

Looks great! Congrats! Interesting how your type color is green. Mine was white when I turned it on the first time. Did you change it? Or was that the default color for you?

PS---that's a LOT of snow! Where do you live?

That was not the default color. I had to change it to match. As for location, I live in Ottawa, Ontario.

Very nice install.

I'm continuously impressed with Futureshop / best buys installations that i've seen.

Most of the time i'd generally be afraid of big box electronics stores, But so far they seem to know what they're doing!

I agree. I wouldn't have done it if it were not for a poster recommending an installer in the Ottawa area who has a good reputation on this forum and that person saying the guy in the Kanata Futureshop location is good.

I had more of a comfort factor from the installation bay at Futureshop than the guys at AudioTrendz out in Kanata. Could be from their lack in familiarity with my car, but that should not stop them, right? :-)

Paul