AVIC411.com

D3 turns off w/ OnStar - Bypass or GMOS related (or both?)

2006 Impala SS - D3 - Metra GMOS-LAN-01 Onstar/Chime harness

Everything is wired correctly, as long as you consider the "bypass" wiring the "correct" way to install the unit :wink: Problem is that every time I get an incoming or make an outgoing OnStar call, the D3 powers off, then back on when done. I'm guessing that this MAY be related to the mute wire having been moved from the proper location in the harness...?...but not sure. According to the GMOS instructions, this may be normal function :?

Can anyone confirm that adding a lead to the now-vacant "mute" location will enable me to make onstar calls w/ the D3 just muting instead of shutting off? I don't lose anything when the unit shuts down...the nav (if in use) is stored...but it's annoying just the same.

I read (and possibly posted in) a similar issue before, but cannot find the thread now...and I just went through 2 pages of posts that found Onstar in them. Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

NVM. Got a reply from metra stating that connecting the mute wire on the harness with the mute wire on the D3 should mute the radio instead of turning it off. Guess I need to get another lead to stick in there!

There is a brown wire on the 14 pin harness on the GMOS-LAN-01. Hook that wire to your aftermarket radios mute wire. That will mute your radio instead of turning it off.

Thank You,

Juan *******

Metra Electronics Tech Support

Just to add confirmation and closure to this thread, I went to radio shack to p/u a capacitor for my SWC module and while I was there, I picked up a short bit of 18ga wire for the "new" mute wire. Got home, stripped about 1/2" of the lead, folded over about 1/8" of that on itself to double the width of the wire and then shoved it in the old mute location in the harness until I could see it in the connector. Plugged it in, adjusted it to stay in there, and then taped up the harness to make sure it didn't move. I connected that to the brown mute wire on the GMOS harness and wha-la! It now mutes instead of turning off.

Hope this helps someone else.

Thats good information because my unit also turns off when i use onstar. If i didnt steal the mute wire for the bypass then maybe mine would mute instead of turn off. If i ever get board one day ill add a mute wire and connect it. I barely ever use onstar so it doesnt really matter to me at this point.

Yeah, it was just a minor annoyance and I hate when stuff isn't 100% right. I figured that I had the unit out multiple times (trying to get the SWC module to work), so I might as well get the mute right if it's just one wire.

Glad it helped.