AVIC411.com

Rear Backup Cameras

I originally purchased a camera off Ebay which comes highly recomended by members in another forum.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SMALLEST-REARVIEW-BACK-UP-CAMERA-WATER-RESISTANT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50073QQihZ005QQitemZ150226677216QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

It's a great camera, but it did not have wide enough viewing angle, so I broke down and purchased the Pioneer camera.

Side by side, there is no comparison between the two. The Pioneer is higher resolution and lower lux. You get what you pay for.

where and how did you mount your pioneer back up camera? it looks like there is a little sticky pad on the base? i'm not sure if i would trust that to hold on the outside of your car??

also what plugs does it come with? RCA yellow for the video and also a red wire for 12v power? is that RCA wire as well? just curious how you'd hook the Pioneer camera up to the AVIC z1

also is it night vision, where you can see things clearly at night? how is the visibility at night?

I originally purchased a camera off Ebay which comes highly recomended by members in another forum.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SMALLEST-REARVIEW-BACK-UP-CAMERA-WATER-RESISTANT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50073QQihZ005QQitemZ150226677216QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

It's a great camera, but it did not have wide enough viewing angle, so I broke down and purchased the Pioneer camera.

Side by side, there is no comparison between the two. The Pioneer is higher resolution and lower lux. You get what you pay for.

Where you mount it will be vehicle specific. I did use the included mounting bracket and double-sided tape to mount the camera peeking-out from under the lift-glass handle. The camera is not obvious to a casual observer, and carwash brushes can't grab it either. Here it's aimed to just barely see the bumper at the bottom of the picture and down the road at the top. This camera is wide enough angle to fit the entire rear bumper in the frame (just barely).

The camera has a composite video out plug and ground/positive wires for power. Plug the video output into the "backup camera" input on the AVIC and wire the power however you like (acc, ign, reverse).

The Pioneer is a very low lux camera, basically the brake lights on my truck will illuminate enough, the reverse lights give a very acceptable image (much brighter than the Ebay one I bought).

IM000183.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

as far as plugging in the back up camera input to the back of the AVIC unit... do you just plug it into "VIDEO IN" (the yellow one)???

there are some white and red ones as well, but i think they say AUDIO INPUT or front/back input and also out put.

here is a pic of what im looking at:

avic.jpg

thanks for any help!

as far as plugging in the back up camera input to the back of the AVIC unit... do you just plug it into "VIDEO IN" (the yellow one)???

there are some white and red ones as well, but i think they say AUDIO INPUT or front/back input and also out put.

here is a pic of what im looking at:

avic.jpg

here is the adapter that i paid $25 for! it might be useless?!

rca.jpg

thanks for any help!

Tuning Haus-

It looks like the adapter you bought is a S-Video to RCA adapter. Get your money back on it if you can, you don't need it.

There should be a brown RCA connector on the back of the head unit for the rear view camera input. Look for that one. The red and white RCA connectors are for audio, and the yellow RCA connectors are for video.

David

Okay...I found some of your other posts...it looks like you are missing a connector that adapts to the camera that you have. I just got a BOYO VTL420, and here is the connector that I think you are missing.

Good luck.

post-17877-12872754293979_thumb.jpg

post-17877-12872754295984_thumb.jpg

yep! that looks like it's it! how much was that camera if you don't mind me asking? also i don't know if i can get just that harness alone or not?

they said the YELLOW video INPUT plug would work as well for the back up camera RCA plug? i don't see a brown RCA connector on the back of the head unit...

my friend said that i should just get go get a camera at FRY's for like $40. it's cheap and looks pretty good.

how's the quality compared with the pioneer back up camera ($150)??? i have a generic camera now, i just need that harness!!!

now for the power and ground wire that you have there, where would you splice the power into? ignition?

Tuning Haus-

It looks like the adapter you bought is a S-Video to RCA adapter. Get your money back on it if you can, you don't need it.

There should be a brown RCA connector on the back of the head unit for the rear view camera input. Look for that one. The red and white RCA connectors are for audio, and the yellow RCA connectors are for video.

David

Okay...I found some of your other posts...it looks like you are missing a connector that adapts to the camera that you have. I just got a BOYO VTL420, and here is the connector that I think you are missing.

Good luck.

I got the camera (BOYO VTL420) off e-Bay for around $100. The picture quality is not as good as the Pioneer, but it works, and it is cheaper.

You should have a brown RCA connector coming off of the back of the AVIC-Z. How many harness connections do you have? The Z2 that I have has three primary connectors on the back of the unit. I don't remember which one the brown RCA plug was on.

You could run the camera output into one of the video inputs (yellow RCA) if you wanted to do that. I put the power for my camera on a switch so that I can turn it on or off whenever I want.

Good luck.

thanks again propman!

do you have any pictures of your back up camera on your screen? i don't think it'll make a HUGe difference as far as picture quality does it?

also yeah i do not hav ea brown plug for sure. but if i can use the yellow VIDEO IN perfectly fine, then i'll just do that! or would i need to get that brown harness if i want to use the back up camera (say when i am driving and i want it on the rear view mode)?

with the pioneer camer, it looks kind of tricky to mount. and for $150 is it really worth the $50 difference in picture quality?

thanks again propman!

do you have any pictures of your back up camera on your screen? i don't think it'll make a HUGe difference as far as picture quality does it?

also yeah i do not hav ea brown plug for sure. but if i can use the yellow VIDEO IN perfectly fine, then i'll just do that! or would i need to get that brown harness if i want to use the back up camera (say when i am driving and i want it on the rear view mode)?

with the pioneer camer, it looks kind of tricky to mount. and for $150 is it really worth the $50 difference in picture quality?

Here is a thread where I posted some pics of the display with both the Pioneer camera, and the BOYO camera. Look towards the end of the page.

I'm pretty sure that if you don't hook up the camera to the brown RCA connector, the rear view mode will not work. The way that I have mine wired, I can throw a switch at any time, and the display switches to the rear view camera.

Is the Pioneer a better camera? Probably. Does it have a better image? I think so, but not by much. I'm sure that you could find a cheaper camera, so I guess it all depends on what you are planning on doing with the camera. I'm going to use mine so that I don't back into anything!

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14760&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15