AVIC411.com

2006 Impala - Is VSS wire in OEM harness?

Having tons of trouble trying to get the VSS signal to the D3 through my GMOS, and the guys at Metra say to just return the module and get a new one. I don't want to go through all that, b/c I would need to return that to CF, and then have CF send me a new one...leaving me w/o the D3 during that time.

I would rather just jump over the GMOS and tap into the VSS signal right at the OEM harness in the dash. Any chance this speed sensor wire is right there for me, or do I need to go to the ECM? It's pink at the HU, blue & pink at the GMOS...any chance it's the pink wire at the OEM harness?

No there isn't a VSS at the radio. do you have the 14 or 16 pin connector on the factory harness? If it is the 14 pin the pink wire is pin 6 and it is for the Antenna 14V Switched Supply Voltage. The 16 pin doesn't have a pink wire. If you want all the pin outs for the 14 or 16 pin connector let me know. Otherwise the VSS wire is located under the hood by the left rear of the engine compartment near the brake booster, bolted to the left strut tower number 4 in the picture. and you are wanting the brown wire at pin E in the picture. Hope this helps.

post-16501-12872753943259_thumb.jpg

post-16501-12872753946228_thumb.gif

You sure this info is for the new 2006+? Neither of those connectors look like mine. :? Mine are rectangular, not rounded like those you pictured. Crutchfield gave me the same location for the VSS wire and they said they only had this data for the 05...so it could be different for my 06. Also, I read somewhere else that the VSS is at the ECM in the airbox, not near the firewall.

If you're correct in saying that the car doesn't have a VSS signal at the radio harness, is Metra full of s**t in saying that their module makes this connection for me?

Lastly, Crutchfield said that the VSS speed data is ONLY used when GPS speed data cannot be figured (like in a tunnel or under an elevated highway). Is this correct? Am I racking my brain for no good reason? I'd like the Nav to be as accurate as possible, and to date it has been, but if it can be better, I'm all for it. So far, the speedo gauge in the nav screen has been pretty accurate.

If Metra is saying that they are getting a VSS signal from the radio harness they are FOS. Now they might have something that is trying to decode the GMLAN data and getting speed but I would doubt it. Those pics there are where you find your VSS go to the location of 4 by your strut tower and then find the plug that looks like yours (the rounded ones) then you will splice into the brown wire at pin location E. You will have a speed signal from that.

I posted the plug from your radio, I left the amp plugs out and these are the main plugs minus the amp and xm plug.

The ECM is located "Left side of the engine compartment, inside the air cleaner assembly" you can't find the VSS here, this is for engine control only. The actual VSS is located on the back of the transmission.

Yes this information is for all 2006 Impala's right from GM ESI.

post-16501-12872753954809_thumb.jpg

post-16501-1287275395745_thumb.jpg

OK, got the new GMOS and installed the new unit and still got nothing, so I did as you instructed and found the VSS at those connectors near the strut tower and tapped in to the brown wire (pin E). Couldn't for the life of me find a grommet in the fire wall so I ran it through the fender to the wire boot between the door and the car, and then snaked it through to the HU. Connected the wires and now I have a VSS signal. Thanks for all your help. :D

Oh yeah, one thing about your instructions above. The VSS is at Location 4 on the diagram...the 10-pin harness...not location 5. Location 5 is the 12-pin and not the right one. If you care to, edit that so that anyone else searching for this info (Search? Who searches???) has a clear understanding of what's what (if they fail to read this post).

On a side note, I couldn't find my way through the firewall for ***t. With the V8 crammed in there, I couldn't see ANY grommet that got me to the cabin. Instead, I tapped into the brown wire @ pin-E, ran the wire to the front of the D/S fender, then through the fender to the wire boot at the door, went through that then under the dash to the HU. I need to buy some wire loom to protect it, but it works nonetheless!

Again, thanks!

• 1 year later...

I discovered this thread from a google search. I am considering upgrading my '06 Impala SS by installing an AVIC-Z110BT, together with all necessary harnesses and gizmos to retain XM and steering wheel controls. (It's either that or trade it for a new Genesis!)

I've done a fair amount of research on what I would need to do to wire all this up and one of my questions related to where would I find the vss wire.

Your answer above is good and I now know what to do. However, one thing puzzles me. I see the brown wire going to pin E from the loom coming from the front of the vehicle but the corresponding pin E on the loom going towards the firewall is empty. Why is this? and can I use the empty position to hook up the AVIC?

There are many other questions I need answers to (such as can I use the existing XM antenna) and hopefully I can learn more from either Crutchfield or elsewhere on this forum.