AVIC411.com

I installed my D3 w/bluetooth and ipod last weekend in a 2007 Mustang. Install went smooth. Now, sometimes I get a mysterious sound coming from the speakers, sorta like a static sound you used to get in the old days when you had snow on you TV. How's that for a blast from the past!

It comes from both speakers and does not increase or decrease in volume while turning the volume knob.

When it occurs, the car can either be running or just with the key on accessory. It will last about 30 seconds and then go away. Then it may or may not reappear. At most it has appeared 3 times and then everything was fine for the rest of the drive.

It does not increase in frequency as the car goes faster. It does not sound like alternator whine.

It occurs wither the source is on radio, CD, Bluetooth or Map (GPS).

I have the bypass with all the grounds going to the harness ground (soldered connections) and the power and ground for the bluetooth also go to the harness but are T-Tapped separately.

The illumination wire is tapped to my Hazard Flasher. VSS is hooked up and working.

The Reverse wire and GPS antenna run alongside each other under the sill plate to the rear of the car.

It is tolerable since it goes away but I am really confused because it sometimes doesn't happen at all, it's about 50/50 so far.

I really don't want to go in and redo all my grounds, it is a pain taking the unit out so I am hoping there is a simple fix. But, if that is what it takes---

Any thoughts? Bad unit?

• 5 weeks later...

I think I have the exact same issue...

BUT for me it is caused by the voice guidance being muted. If I am driving and I have a route set in the GPS, at each turn or at any point where the unit is supposed to be telling me to "turn right in blah blah blah..." I just get a low static sound.

I have set the voice guidance to "Mute On" but this does not stop the stupid voice and so i set the volume to 0 and now I get that static.

Hope this helps you diagnose the issue! Now I wish I knew why I can't actually mute the stupid voice!

I would try floating the ground....In other words; disconnect the ground wire from the head unit and the cars ground coming from the vehicle wire harness. Most head units get their ground from the antenna and when you ground it to the harness it causes the hiss you hear.

Connect all the grounds to the ground wire on the head unit and non to the factory harness ground...No noise. You will know immediately if it works because if you dont' have a good ground from the antenna the unit won't power up

Hope that helps.

I would try floating the ground....In other words; disconnect the ground wire from the head unit and the cars ground coming from the vehicle wire harness. Most head units get their ground from the antenna and when you ground it to the harness it causes the hiss you hear.

Connect all the grounds to the ground wire on the head unit and non to the factory harness ground...No noise. You will know immediately if it works because if you dont' have a good ground from the antenna the unit won't power up

Hope that helps.

I'll try that, I was planning on working on the grounds anyways.

The sound doesn't happen all the time. It is intermittent, it will happen right away for maybe 30-40 seconds, disappear for maybe 5-10 minutes then happen again for 30-40 seconds. I did notice that if I don't get the sound when I first turn it on, it doesn't happen for the whole time it is on.

Why is your illumination wire tapped to your Hazard Flasher?

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I hooked up to the Hazard Flasher (although, in a way, it is)

I hooked up to the Hazard Flasher button illumination wire, which lights up when the lights come on.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I hooked up to the Hazard Flasher (although, in a way, it is)

I hooked up to the Hazard Flasher button illumination wire, which lights up when the lights come on.

No need to be sorry,I wasn't aware of that type of hook up.So the power that illuminates the hazard flasher icon powers your illumination wire?

No need to be sorry,I wasn't aware of that type of hook up.So the power that illuminates the hazard flasher icon powers your illumination wire?

Yep. Works great. It is located about 6 inches above the radio, easy hookup.

My Hazard Flashers are activated with a button on my center console.