AVIC411.com

D3: Using Nav while playing Ipod and other Q's....

Hey guys, i'm looking to purchase a D3 shortly. I just joined the AVIC411 today!

I've found that the D3 is the most versitle for the price. I am a Newb in regards to the newer in dash Navigation units, so don't flame too hard :D

I have a few Q's for you Gurus......can you use the navigation feature on the D3 while playing the ipod? Are both (Nav and Ipod) interfaces on one screen?

I know that there is only one disc slot, but i'd mainly be using my Ipod. I drive quite a bit, so using the ipod with the Nav simultaneously would be a key feature.

Also,

Are there updated Nav discs that you can obtain each year? Are they through Pioneer, and do you pay for them?

Are there generic AVIC-D3's? I found a ridiculously good price on one ($511 shipped NIB) and i'm just wondering if it's genuine.

Any major Con's with the unit, that you don't car for?

Sorry for the Newb questions guys, i did search and really couldn't find anything concrete.

Thanks!

can you use the navigation feature on the D3 while playing the ipod? Are both (Nav and Ipod) interfaces on one screen?

I know that there is only one disc slot, but i'd mainly be using my Ipod. I drive quite a bit, so using the ipod with the Nav simultaneously would be a key feature.

Yes, by using the ipod you leave the DVD drive open for the nav disk. However, both interfaces aren't on the screen at once. To navigate ipod menus you have to be at the ipod screen. That doesn't stop the nav from working, however, it's just not visible. The voice prompts from the nav still come though even when you're not viewing the map. And if enabled, an arrow will pop up over the ipod screen to inform you of upcoming turns. And the other way around, when viewing the nav map, you cannot navigate the ipod menus, but there are forward and backward buttons on the face of the unit that allow you to skip tracks while remaining in the map view. And when the song changes, song title and artist info is displayed at the bottom of the map display for a few seconds.

In short, you can't VIEW both at the same time, but you can USE both quite well at the same time.

Are there updated Nav discs that you can obtain each year? Are they through Pioneer, and do you pay for them?

Yes, there WILL be update disks (there are none yet for the D3) and you must either purchase them from Pioneer, or possibly from someone on ebay or something like that.

Are there generic AVIC-D3's? I found a ridiculously good price on one ($511 shipped NIB) and i'm just wondering if it's genuine.

There's no generic D3... some places offer them at really low prices which could be good or could be bad. Some places are just plain shady and should be avoided... but there is also a $200 refund going from Pioneer, and some places just get the refund themselves and roll the discount into the sale price. Just make sure you buy from somewhere reputable and you should be fine.

Any major Con's with the unit, that you don't car for?

There's an issue with it not playing video from the latest ipods, but that's really Apple's fault, not the D3's. And some peple have issues with the nav providing with iffy routes, such as plotting routes longer than they really should be or having the driver make unecessary U-turns... I have not really experienced it myself, but some have complained about it.

But you can't really expect everything to be the best it could possibly be given the price of the unit.

Thanks so much HiFiSi!!! Lots of information there.

Well i just checked some reveiws from the place i was going to buy from, and they were all "Very Dissapointed" remarks. i guess research pays off.

does anyone know where i could find a good price on one, and still get the rebate? From my understanding, the selling company must be an authorized Pioneer dealer.

i checked my price at my company, and i can get one for $625, but i can't use the rebate then.

thanks again

Check this out. But due to the age of the topic and falling prices...

I'd start from the last page and work backwards...

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4756

Also, there's quite a few topics about this because of the falling prices and the rebate lately. Just read around on the site for them.

I did run across this while looking for some computer components yesterday, though:

http://tinyurl.com/2mkv2z

They're asking $720... but whether they're including the rebate in that or not, or if buying from them you'll be eligible for the rebate, i don't know. But Newegg.com is one of the most reliable and customer friendly companies I've ever come across. If I'm buying electronics online, it's almost always from them, even if the price is a little more than some other places.

Yea i knew that was comin sometime!! :D

looks like Al-Eds is the cheapest reputable place to purchase

I bought my unit there, but they wanted to charge me $300 to install the unit and the steering wheel adapter to my car.

I decided that's WAY too much so I did it myself (thanks to this website). It took me about 45 mins to install the D3, and about and hour to install the steering wheel adapter (had to do some soldering and was hampered by only having two hands!!!)

In any case, just an FYI, Al and Eds will charge you like $40~$50 for the IPOD cable (which you will need if you want to connect your IPOD) and around $90 for the steering wheel adaptor if you want it.

I bought both from ebay for WAY cheaper. So if you are up to the task of installing it yourself. I'd say that's the way to go.