AVIC411.com

Looking into picking up a Z1

Whats up guys, I am thinking of picking up either a d2 or a z1 for my 06 rsx type s. I am going to have to figure out what harness i need, and a double din faceplate...I know you guys probably will not know what harness, butttt you will know this i hope. If I hook up the z1 EXACTLY as the directions say, or have a shop do it. Then I can do the light flicker bypass, correct? There is nothing I need to leave out of the setup or add? It is hooking up as intended and just needs the lights to be flickered?? HOpefully this is the way. Also do you think the z1 is really worht the money over the d2? The d2 i read does not have great ipod features. Besides that anything else which may sway me more toward the z1? Thanks so much!
[quote name="Nick6489"]Whats up guys, I am thinking of picking up either a d2 or a z1 for my 06 rsx type s. I am going to have to figure out what harness i need, and a double din faceplate...I know you guys probably will not know what harness,[/quote]

I don't know for your vehicle...

[quote name="Nick6489"] butttt you will know this i hope. If I hook up the z1 EXACTLY as the directions say, or have a shop do it. Then I can do the light flicker bypass, correct? [/quote]

Yes, technically that's all that is needed. Just make sure to disengage your parking brake when you flash your lights. The parking brake can not be engaged (if it's connected to the Z1) if you want to flash your lights. Of course my circuit is much easier. :)

[quote name="Nick6489"]There is nothing I need to leave out of the setup or add? It is hooking up as intended and just needs the lights to be flickered?? HOpefully this is the way. [/quote]

Yep, just as long as the parking brake is off. It will work.

[quote name="Nick6489"]Also do you think the z1 is really worht the money over the d2? The d2 i read does not have great ipod features. Besides that anything else which may sway me more toward the z1? Thanks so much![/quote]

I do, but then I never had a D2. I like the hard drive feature in the Z1, we haven't cracked it yet, but some of us are working on it. The ipod interface works exactly how an ipod works, just slower. I don't know how it is on the older units, but its pretty good here. I think the Z1 has text to speach for road name enounciation (the D2 is "Turn right in 100 feet" where the Z1 is "Turn right in 100 feet on Main Street"). The Z1 has bluetooth, it's not great bluetooth but it's there.

In my mind the D2 is older and the Z1 is newer, usually they don't bring out newer models that are worse than older ones. Once you flash your headlights and get full access to the Z1 at any time, it's a very nice unit.
Thanks ducatiboy..Just by my short time on this site I can tell you are the man to talk to! Well what are you trying to establish by cracking the hdd? Ability to load dvds on it? Thanks so much! I might just take the hit and pick up the z1 Oh and one more quick question. You are required to mount a gps antenna somewhere with this unit, correct?
[quote name="Nick6489"]Thanks ducatiboy..Just by my short time on this site I can tell you are the man to talk to! [/quote]

Thanks.

[quote name="Nick6489"]Well what are you trying to establish by cracking the hdd? Ability to load dvds on it? [/quote]

No, video files on the hard drive will never happen. So far we have replaced the boot up image. We want to either run off a new hard drive and use the stock one for back up purposes, and possibly load MP3's directly to the drive without ripping from each CD.

[quote name="Nick6489"]Thanks so much! I might just take the hit and pick up the z1 Oh and one more quick question. You are required to mount a gps antenna somewhere with this unit, correct?[/quote]

No problem. Yes, you will need to mount a GPS antenna, personally I have mine mounted under my dash on top of a climate control vent tube. Seems to work pretty well, but if you do, get a different piece of steel and put the antenna on that and then stick that where you need it, it will get better reception.
[quote name="niteone"]"get a different piece of steel and put the antenna on that and then stick that where you need it, it will get better reception."

Yeah, where can you buy those? With one side sticky, the other side where you can place the antenna magnet to?[/quote]

Well, I went into my machine shop at work and cut out a piece the same size as the crappy foil that they give you. I suppose you might be able to buy something at home depot or lowes, or any hardware store. Get steel, and not stainless or aluminum. The GPS antenna attaches via a magnet and those are not magnetic. Steel is (but not stainless). Just get something 1/8 inch thick or so. It doesn't have to be real thick and cut a 3x3 inch square and I put some 3m double stick foam (1/4 inch thick) on it and stuck it to my duct. Then the gps antenna just sticks to the metal plate with it's magnet.