AVIC411.com

d3 loosing gps

I dont know if this is an antenna problem or system problem. I took a 1200 mi trip twice in the last 4 weeks. About 600 mi in, the system stopped tracking and all satellite icons went to gray. The antenna is outside on roof. I reset the system nothing changed. Then i cleared the hybrid status, did a reset, turned off the vehicle. Then when it was restarted everything came up after the hybrid 3d initalized. I took a look at the antenna and noticed it was beginning to leave a small rust stain on the magnet and the roof of the car. I then cleaned the stain and moved it down a few inches away form the spot. everything worked ok. Then on my second trip after about 600 mi of traveling it did it again. I went thru the whole procedure again and everything is fine for now. To be safe, I ordered a new antenna just in case.

The unit has been in service since September. and is bypassed 2006 mercury mountaineer.

Any ideas????????????????????????????? Also took out the backup disks and put the origional one back in. STUMPED

You could always mount the antenna inside the car on the dash board. Mine's on there and I've always had full satellite signal. Then you don't have to worry about your nav antenna rusting up, or about ruining your paint job.