AVIC411.com

Z2 To Z3 Upgrade

I just got my hands on a Z3 image on a Toshiba 40gig hard drive & did the upgrade. Most everything looks the same. Voice reconition seems to work much better than the Z2 version did. Haven't had a lot of time to play with the maps yet, but turn by turn guidence also seems to be alot smoother than the Z2 was. This is just my first impression.

I also have a hard drive duplicator and can make an image for anyone willing to supply a 40 gig hard drive and pay your shipping. Not wanting to make any money on this, just want to help fellow Z oners out. If I can anyone with any info on this I will do my best. 8)

Rebel, can you confirm that the library setup/organization is the same. It would be nice if the library catalog albums under the artist search (artist-->album-->song). I've got every DMB album and when I pull them up under artist it just lists several hundred songs.

Also, did you happen to get your HD drive an image from ebay?

To answer some of the questions ask so far. If you do a search by artist it will bring up all songs under that artist. You can do a search by album and it will only bring up the songs on that album. Search by song, will bring up every song by that name reguardless of the artist. No, did not come from Ebay. Hard drive prices range from around $50 to $75 depending on where you buy it. Sorry can't FTP, image isn't on my PC. I do have a hard drive cloaning device and can duplicate up to 5 at one time. If someone wanted to forward me a Toshiba 40gig 5400rpm hard drive so that everyone can have access to the image i would be happy to cloan and return it for all to use. If anyone wants my shipping address just PM me. Also willing to try and answer any other questions.. 8)

Okay I am interested, where do I go to get a hard drive to do this? Are the maps updated to Z3 status???

Do I just get the harddrive, send it in to the poster and pay the fees and get it back, or are there other things I have to do?

Thnks!

What you need is a Toshiba 40gig 5400rpm hard drive for a laptop. As for location you can do a google search and get it from several fine internet web sites, or you can go to your local computer shop, or someplace like Bestbuy. The only fee you would pay would be shipping to and from me. You will need a #8 Torx head bit to remove the hard drive cover on the Z unit you have. You will aslo need a #1 Phillips head screw driver to remove the hard drive from the cradle. These 4 screws also strip out very easy, so be careful when you remove them. If you have any other questions just let me know.

It would be ideal to post this to Usenet News Servers. From there nearly anyone can pull the data down. Last year someone posted the Z2 update image to alt.binaries.temp (I think it was) and I grabbed the entire thing at like 4-5MB/Second.

I just got my hands on a Z3 image on a Toshiba 40gig hard drive & did the upgrade. Most everything looks the same. Voice reconition seems to work much better than the Z2 version did. Haven't had a lot of time to play with the maps yet, but turn by turn guidence also seems to be alot smoother than the Z2 was. This is just my first impression.

I also have a hard drive duplicator and can make an image for anyone willing to supply a 40 gig hard drive and pay your shipping. Not wanting to make any money on this, just want to help fellow Z oners out. If I can anyone with any info on this I will do my best. 8)

Is the ipod connection faster. I know that the direct link was to suppose to speed things up in the Z3 but seeing you just did a software update I thought that I would ask?

So do you feel the Toshiba drive you mentioned is the best one to get?

I ask because I want to send one off to ya but I want to make sure I'm buying the best, I dont mind paying $100 for a drive if it's truley better than a $50.00 one of the same size etc.

Does that make sense at all?

If you feel the Toshiba drive you mentioned is the best one to get than that it will be..