AVIC411.com

Avic D1 and Ipod Video

Yes, if you open up that cigarette lighter adapter, it will have two wires. A positive, and a negative. Ground the negative wire, and connect the positive to a power source. Preferably a switched one, so it's not draining power while the car is off. The switched power (ACC) wire going to the radio should probably do fine for that.

But to make it clear, that will only work with older ipod models. If it is one of the new "classic" ipods or ipod touch, it won't put video out using that cable. You need the genuine Apple brand cable for that.

Are the wires red and black for the 12V source.. are you referring to the 6th generation ipod 'classics", why? This cable is going from the ipod connector to the RCA inputs on the D1 and i think wouldn't have the problems that the unit has connecting thru the av bus, what do you think???

Are the wires red and black for the 12V source..

On the car's end if you're looking to hook it up to the same power source as the radio, yes. The red wire on the radio's harness is the switched power supply and the black wire is the ground. But I have no idea of knowing what color the wires are inside that adapter. Regardless of what color they are, the wire going to the center electrode inside the cigarette lighter adapter is the positive wire, and the other is the negative.

are you referring to the 6th generation ipod 'classics", why? This cable is going from the ipod connector to the RCA inputs on the D1 and i think wouldn't have the problems that the unit has connecting thru the av bus, what do you think???

Yes, I'm referring to the 6th gen ipod classics. It's not an issue of what it's connecting to of what kind of input it is. Apple has implemented a new feature that disables video output unless it's connected to an authorized apple cable with a security chip in it. If you have an ipod classic, this adapter will not work. You have to buy the authorized apple cable, I've heard it's like $50 or something crazy like that... and also have to get a separate charger.