AVIC411.com

ipod video question

First let me just say that thanks to this site, I've been able to troubleshoot some big problems (i.e. BT troubles, gps antena placement, bypass, etc.), it has been a major help!

So now, I'm trying to purchase an older 80gb ipod 5.5 gen, as I've learned that the newer versions won't play video through the cable.

The Apple store must be sold out at the moment, so I've been looking on ebay.

I've found a few, but they don't use firmware 1.0.2. They use version 1.2.3, so they must have upgraded???

Is the 1.0.2 the only version that will work through the ipod cable?

I've searched through the forums, but haven't seen any other versions that would work. I'm assuming if I purchased a brand new sealed unit it would have the original version installed?

Just want to make sure I get the right one.

Thanks!

Damian

The 5.5 gen ipods will work no matter what firmware is on them. The 1.0.2 firmware is what's needed for the 6th gen (classic) ipods to work correctly. Just wait until you find one on ebay or the apple store and pick it up. The firmware version doesn't matter.

Just an FYI:

be careful when making bids for ipods on ebay. You WILL receive ALOT of 'second chance offers' that are just spoofs. Do not reply to anyone other than the person selling the item....

if youre already familiar with ebay then you should know what to do

I'm all too familiar with ebay...had no problem finding one from a reputable seller, its on it way.

Next question...

My computer doesn't have a DVD burner, so if I just purchase a cheap external DVD burner...can I download my DVD's through that and then transfer the files to play through my ipod?

Please forgive me if that is a doubt question! Don't know how easy it would be to install one on my tower...I'm not the most technologically gifted person as you can tell.

Sure, you can use an external drive instead of an internal one, there wouldn't be a difference with either. But an internal drive would be a lot cheaper than an external one.

Whichever way you go, you should get one that can burn dual layer DVD's so you can make a backup of the nav disk so you can keep the original stored away in case anything happens. Buying replacement nav disks is expensive.

As for the DVD to ipod deal, you can get software to rip DVD's straight into ipod format files, then load them on the ipod. Plenty of software available at download.com, some of them are free.

Yes, that's slightly true. To play videos from the ipod, you have to seelect video mode on the D3's ipod interface, then use the actual ipod to start play on the FIRST video. After that, you don't need to touch the ipod again because you can use the controls on the D3 to skip forward and back through the different videos on the ipod.

Yes, that's slightly true. To play videos from the ipod, you have to seelect video mode on the D3's ipod interface, then use the actual ipod to start play on the FIRST video. After that, you don't need to touch the ipod again because you can use the controls on the D3 to skip forward and back through the different videos on the ipod.

This is all true accept the videos need to be in a PLAYLIST in order to use the D3 skip buttons to go from video to video.

I got an Ipod video, and I have a Pioneer AVIC D3 TV in my truck, with a ipod cable

My question is I need to know if anyone knows how to get music dvd's onto itunes.

I usually take videos from youtube and save them to realplayer, but when i search my comp for songs and video's with ITUNEs it doesn't find the realplayer stuff ( they might be 2 different formats )

anyone know how to do this, or have any suggestions