AVIC411.com

Improved GPS reception on my 2006 civic....

Just a quick note:

i had originally installed the GPS antenna on top of the rear-deck of my Civic between the rear-speakers.... used the metal pad supplied for mounting.... Worked great and seemed to always have 6 to 8 sats on mostly Orange all the time.....

Because i wanted to clean-up the install and make it more 'stealthy' i decide to try installing the antenna under the plastic deck cover in the same location...... the GPS antenna stuck nicelly on the metal under the plastic under the window....

To my surprise (although in hind-site should have known better)... my signal has actually improved to where almost all the sats are always on Orange all the time! even in my garage!

Just goes to show you how important the metal the antenna is mounted to is important for proper sat reception....

I mounted the XM antenna on the roof next to the rear window in the middle of the vehicle..... this antenna is little and un-obtrusive and always gets great reception and updates my nav-traffiic info very quickly.....

Sam
I have noticed that as well, the thickness and type of metal the gps antenna is magnetically connected to makes quite a bit of difference. I got better reception with a metal plate I cut up in my company's machine shop than the flexible foil I got with the Z1.