AVIC411.com

D3 - Z3 or wait for F

I'm new here and love the site. I Recently had my D3 stolen along with my Ipod out of my 07 Expedition. The D3 was my first nav. I'm contemplating my options in replacing the nav and was hoping to get some input from those in the know.

I liked the setup the D3 gave me - had the sirius, bt, back up cam and ipod with the ability to watch video through the ipod and had it wired to the rear screen. At the same time, I like the idea of the bigger screen and hd of the Z-3, but have not had the opportunity to experience it first hand. I've also read some of the comments on the new F series, but I'm not overly excited about the smaller screen size and don't necessarily want to wait a month or more to have tunes in my car. If you could address the following questions and provide any additional feedback it would help -

1. Is there any way to watch ipod videos through the Z3? Will it be possible with the F series?

2. Any way to change the color of the buttons to match the dash on the Z3? F Series?

3. How effective is the voice recognition in the Z3? worth it?

4. Is the hard drive a must have - do I not know what I'm missing?

5. Anything else I'm not considering?

Thanks for taking the time to review and respond.

1. You can buy the $50 cable from Apple and run it into the AV input on the Z. It will not charge the ipod, nor will you be able to control anything from the touchscreen, only the ipod. The F-series will have control from the screen and charging through the Pioneer cable

2. No on the Z. Yes on the F

3. Not very effective, but its free so beggars can't be choosers

4. Why are you asking others if YOU must have a HD? Got a bunch of CDs? Or got an ipod? Then you decide

5. Yes, but its all in the manual, which you can read for free

Sorry, I assumed he had a new ipod since the OP says his old one got stolen. The peripheral doesn't output video with the classics, new nanos, or touch so the Apple cable is a safer bet

Hey whtcrxghst i bought a PXP01 from peripheral which works with my Z1 and it is for the ipod video and it will charge at the same time. 29.95.

http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/pr ... uctID=52#3

You can do so by unplugging from one and moving it to the other

Thanks for your input. Correct assumption, the Ipod is a new classic.

I assume that I will be able to alternate between the AV and the Ipod adapter for on screen music controls if I install both?

I have been asking myself this same question. In fact, I just joined to jump in this thread.

It seems the overwhelming response for the F series has been fantastic, but I don't get it.

I must be missing something, but I think the small screen blows big time and the fact that the F series does not feature dual zone is piss poor.

Is the Z3 not superior to the F-series in 85% of the features?

Can someone list a rundown of pros and cons of the Z3 vs the DVD F-sereis?

Z-series:

bigger, almost 7 inch screen

no nav disks

10 gigs of music storage

dual zone

stubborn voice command for everything

sluggish ipod control without video support

pioneer's worst bluetooth in history

2-volt preouts

F-series:

smaller, 5.8" screen but 3 times the resolution of the Z

no nav disks

built-in parrot bluetooth (works better with most phones than pioneer)

Voicebox recognition for ipod and bluetooth

nice ipod interface that transfers video

divx and mp3 dvd supported (only on 900 and 90 models)

2-volt preouts on 700 and 900, 4-volt on 90

I don't need dual source, don't care about the smaller screen (looks the same as the D3 too me which is plenty big.) I do want better bluetooth, ipod interface, 4V preouts, and voice recognition of my ipod and phone. So for what I need, I have no interest in the Z series anymore, but you see that as 85% worse than a Z-series, it doesn't bother me :wink:

I have been asking myself this same question. In fact, I just joined to jump in this thread.

It seems the overwhelming response for the F series has been fantastic, but I don't get it.

I must be missing something, but I think the small screen blows big time and the fact that the F series does not feature dual zone is piss poor.

Z-series:

bigger, almost 7 inch screen

no nav disks

10 gigs of music storage

dual zone

stubborn voice command for everything

sluggish ipod control without video support

pioneer's worst bluetooth in history

2-volt preouts

F-series:

smaller, 5.8" screen but 3 times the resolution of the Z

no nav disks

built-in parrot bluetooth (works better with most phones than pioneer)

Voicebox recognition for ipod and bluetooth

nice ipod interface that transfers video

divx and mp3 dvd supported (only on 900 and 90 models)

2-volt preouts on 700 and 900, 4-volt on 90

I don't need dual source, don't care about the smaller screen (looks the same as the D3 too me which is plenty big.) I do want better bluetooth, ipod interface, 4V preouts, and voice recognition of my ipod and phone. So for what I need, I have no interest in the Z series anymore, but you see that as 85% worse than a Z-series, it doesn't bother me :wink:

Is the fact that bluetooth on the F-series is provided parrot documented anywhere? I would like to read up on it if you can provide a link.

• 2 weeks later...