AVIC411.com

I have an old GM car with a VERY limited depth for the HU. Before I butcher my A/C ducting to squeeze a double-DIN into it (which would probably greatly diminish airflow to the windshield defogger and driver side A/C vents), I was thinking maybe the AVIC-F500BT could be used as an indash unit. However, for this to be practical, I need to know a few things:

1. Does the F500 have a built-in 4-channel amp or preamp?

2. Does the F500 have a built-in tuner?

3. Can the F500 control IP-Bus devices like add-on CD/DVD changer for example?

Or is this thing strictly just an add-on navi?

From reading what jason posted and what the rep told us, here are my best guesses. Seems like it would still work for your application if you relocated the factory radio and ipod/USB were enough music for you

1. No, its a seperate box you buy and splice into the cars factory system

2. Nope

3. No, just USB/ipod

Thanks, I guess it's not suitable as an HU replacement then.

The separate box for amp and such I can handle, but not no tuner.

I don't want to retain a factory HU because it would still need to be accessed to change the station.

I'll just butcher up the A/C ducting to fit a real double-DIN. I doubt the car is even worth 4-digits so why not! :lol:

Yeah, true, that would probably actually be easier than chopping up the A/C ducting and rerouting a wire harness that'll be in the way, but I'd just really like the tuner integrated so I can see the station on the HU's display and all the controls from a single place.

If I hollow out the dash enough to fit a double-DIN, that would mean I could easily upgrade HUs every year too. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...