AVIC411.com

So I realized my alarm was malfunctioning. I went to Ralph's Audio and got them to fix it. The next day, I went downtown to run some errands. In the underground parking lot, I turned the ignition to accessory and changed the playlist for the iPod.

Then I started my car and noticed there was no music playing. I looked at the D3 and realized it was still off. It remained off for at least 10-20 seconds. I started pressing buttons, but I think it came on by itself after. That was the first time I had this experience. Anyone else with a similar experience or know why this happened?

That's because when you turn the starter it cuts power to the radio. You turned the key to ACC and the radio powered up. But then you cranked the starter which turns off the radio, so it had to restart. Which with the D3 may take up to ten seconds or more.

Like I said... when you crank the starter, it cuts power to the head unit.

So turning the key to the ACC position first and messing with the D3 to start playback or whatever is pointless if you haven't started the car yet, because it's going to power off and restart when you start the engine.

So basically, start the car first, then do what you have to do with the radio, not the other way around.