AVIC411.com

Z1 in Silverado HD Installed w/pics

First of all this is my first post on here. I want to thank everyone for all the great information on here. Installed myself and saved $$$ thanks to this forum! I ordered my unit last week, received it yesterday and drove to work today with my Z1 up and running! :D I got lucky and got a manufacturer date of may '06. Ducati circuit is on its way (Thanks Ducatiboy!) I'm also still waiting for my ipod adapter and pac-swi-ps to show up, but at least the hard part is done. I used the Metra GM0S-04 adapter and retained my factory bose speakers and amp (for now). For the speed sensor I used the vehicle speed wire off the instrument cluster. The illumination wire ran from the dimmer on the headlight switch which works fine btw. (Its actually pretty easy to roll the dimmer on and off at start up to unlock all functions) Total install time: 3hrs. Went a lost easier than I thought it would actually. I wish I would have taken more pics. But here you go, please excuse the fingerprints :roll:

[img]http://www.auction-junkie.com/avic1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.auction-junkie.com/avic2.jpg[/img]
GPS antenna is getting really good signal like this so this is where it will stay!
[img]http://www.auction-junkie.com/avic3.jpg[/img]
Nice job, looks clean. Was this you first install? It’s good to see people doing their homework and saving themselves some money. Looks great. 3hrs is much better than what it took me... but I didn’t know about all the good stuff I can learn from AVIC411 until after the install :( . Enjoy your Z1 :D
[quote name="tjdehya"]Nice job, looks clean. Was this you first install? It’s good to see people doing their homework and saving themselves some money. Looks great. 3hrs is much better than what it took me... but I didn’t know about all the good stuff I can learn from AVIC411 until after the install :( . Enjoy your Z1 :D[/quote]

Thanks! I've done a few car stereos over the years but nothing quite like this. I was mostly worried that the mouning wouldnt work out right. A lot of places said this unit would not fit this truck. But i have living proof now :D
I have a 2001 HD I'm about ready to install my Z1 into (was originally going to install in my Z06 but plans changed....I'm going car computer in that one).

My trucks opening is a 1.5 DIN so I've got a radio bracket and dash bezel coming in next week. I don't think I have the bose in my truck (don't think it was offered in the first year of these trucks) so I'll just use the AVIC's onboard amp for right now. Eventually I might go with a 5 channel surrond setup but for now we'll use the stock speakers.

Jay
[quote name="hiddenfromtherest"]Just so you know, the GPS antenna can go underneath your plastic dash. I have the same truck and just stuck the magnetic antenna to one of the steel support underneath the plastic dash and have not had a problem with signal.[/quote]

Cool! I read that people were doing that. I might have to give it a try. Can I put the XM Antenna underneath too? I have the navtraffic xm unit coming in and am going to install this weekend. Got my sterring wheel buttons working and the ipod adapter as well as Ducatiboy's Circuit. All working great so far!
I doubt the xm antenna will work under the dash, but you could always give it a try. I like the idea of trying to retrofit pioneer's antenna into the stock gm xm antenna plastic somehow. Otherwise just run the wire above your headliner and run your wire through the edge between the metal and plastic on the the top of the third brake light. How exactly did you hook up your dimmer wire, mine didn't work directly off of the adapter so I installed a switch under the dash for now. I just purchased the "ducati" circuit so any info to make it work with the headlights would be appreciated.
The XM antenna won't work under the dash. I currently have mine sitting on the dash by the windshield and I lose the signal about 50% more often than I did with the factory XM antenna.

You can supposedly tap into the GM Factory XM antenna. I haven't done it yet, but it can be done. There's a couple of things to know at least on my 04 GMC Sierra 2500 Crew that have kept me from doing it. First the Factory XM tuner appears to be mounted to the firewall behind the glove box so you need the antenna lead to go from there to wherever you placed your Pioneer XM tuner. For me that's under the center console so it means an antenna extension that really only needs to be about 2 or 3 feet, but most XM antenna extensions are 10-25 feet. Second, according to my service manual for my truck the GM antenna is the dual plug antenna not the single plug like the Pioneer.

So based on those 2 gotchas, you need a 2 to 1 wire XM antenna adapter, and an extension. Together even off the web those will run you about $40 and you'll likely have a ton of extra antenna cable to hide. Alternately someone on this forum told me you can use the Metra Euro Antenna to standard radio antenna adapter. The Euro antenna used in VW's is basically the XM coax or BNC connector without the plastic housing on it. So in that case you could do 2 to 1 adapter, euro to standard adapter, standard antenna extension (available in 3 foot lengths) and then a standard to Euro adapter to go into the XM tuner. That route will run you about $60 from adding up all the adapters.

For me I haven't had the chance to verify the 2 wire antenna from the Factory or buy the parts to do it, but it's definitely a must unless you're going to mount the pioneer antenna on the roof or exterior of the truck.

Lastly for the dimmer question. I hooked mine directly off the harness going into the headlight switch. It's easy to get to when you have the dash bezel off to get to the head unti since then you can run a wire over the instrument cluster and down to the headlight switch.

Hope that helps.
[quote name="hiddenfromtherest"]How exactly did you hook up your dimmer wire, mine didn't work directly off of the adapter so I installed a switch under the dash for now. I just purchased the "ducati" circuit so any info to make it work with the headlights would be appreciated.[/quote]

I pulled out the factory headlight switch and used a continuity tester and probed around until I found the wire the lights up with the headlights. The wire I used also dims when I roll the dimmer wire but its working fine on the Z1 and the "ducati" circuit. The only downside is if I roll the dimmer more than 3/4 of the way down the Z1 will go into "day" mode because the ill wire lost its voltage. I almost never use the dimmer anyways so its fine for me.
[quote name="hiddenfromtherest"]Otherwise just run the wire above your headliner and run your wire through the edge between the metal and plastic on the the top of the third brake light.[/quote]

How hard is it to go through the Headliner? I havent really messed around with the headliner on vehicles too much. Is there any risk to the headliner messing around up there?
  • 2 weeks later...
[quote name="crease-guard"]I have a 2001 HD I'm about ready to install my Z1 into (was originally going to install in my Z06 but plans changed....I'm going car computer in that one).

My trucks opening is a 1.5 DIN so I've got a radio bracket and dash bezel coming in next week. I don't think I have the bose in my truck (don't think it was offered in the first year of these trucks) so I'll just use the AVIC's onboard amp for right now. Eventually I might go with a 5 channel surrond setup but for now we'll use the stock speakers.

Jay[/quote]

Jay,

Did you get your Z-1 installed? I am looking at putting one into a 2001 Silverado as well, but would like to benefit from your experience. Which radio bracket did you use? What/where did you get a dash bezel to fit the double DIN?

Do you have any pictures to post?

Thanks,

Jim
  • 3 months later...