AVIC411.com

Had the F900 installed in my truck and am going to have it taken out next week, this thing sucks. Horribly slow start up, bluetooth phone doesnt work, you would think Pioneer would have the echo problem fixed when they went through the same problem with the Z2. The screen looks good but it is so dim you cant hardly see it and the clock is almost invisible. The MSN direct doesnt work the only good thing about it that I will miss is the voice controls for the ipod. Im getting the Kenwood unit installed next week and will bid good riddance to the F900.

Had the F900 installed in my truck and am going to have it taken out next week, this thing sucks. Horribly slow start up, bluetooth phone doesnt work, you would think Pioneer would have the echo problem fixed when they went through the same problem with the Z2. The screen looks good but it is so dim you cant hardly see it and the clock is almost invisible. The MSN direct doesnt work the only good thing about it that I will miss is the voice controls for the ipod. Im getting the Kenwood unit installed next week and will bid good riddance to the F900.

Kk.

Im positive it was installed correctly and the boot up time was added to by the ipod but as I said in my post the screen is so dim you can barely see it and the bluetooth phone is nothing but static and an echo MSN direct didnt work even though I checked with the MSN direct and they told me that I was signed up and should be getting a signal, as I said I know everything was installed correctly because a professional did it who has done work for me for years so I know that it was done right.

Well, I wouldn't be that sure about being installed correctly. the installer could have hooked the dimmer wire to the negative one thats in your truck, thus it would be dim during the day, and bright at night, just the opposite effect. There may be a setting on the radio to change it to negative trigger, the D3 had it. Another problem may be your headlights and parking lights come on automaticaly during the day, thus dimming the radio. It also may just simply be hooked up wrong. Your installer may be a profesional, but I'm sure that he can make a occasional mistake, just like everybody else does from time to time. If you look around the forum here, I'm sure alot of people would be mentioning that they cannot see their display during the day.

The MSN service does work on these units, many have used it already. Msn Direct works off your antenna on the truck. Did you give it some time to activate it? It will not turn on right away, and sometimes may take a day or two if the radio is not powered up for a long period of time, especially if your only making short trips. Are you getting good fm/am reception on all your channels?

Lastly, you can speed up the boot time by turning off the feature where the deck scrolls through your ipod everytime you start up the radio.

Hope this helps!

an F-150 truck

Depending on the year, there may not be a dimmer wire in the factory harness. Ford started using a canbus interface around 2003-2004. Not all vehicles use it. Not even all f-150s use it. some do, some don't. depends on the trim package.

AS far as msn direct not working... Did you get an HD radio adapter, by chance?

Well, I wouldn't be that sure about being installed correctly. the installer could have hooked the dimmer wire to the negative one thats in your truck, thus it would be dim during the day, and bright at night, just the opposite effect. There may be a setting on the radio to change it to negative trigger, the D3 had it. Another problem may be your headlights and parking lights come on automaticaly during the day, thus dimming the radio. It also may just simply be hooked up wrong. Your installer may be a profesional, but I'm sure that he can make a occasional mistake, just like everybody else does from time to time. If you look around the forum here, I'm sure alot of people would be mentioning that they cannot see their display during the day.

Hope this helps!

superjet,

What about cars with always-on daytime running lights? Is it possible my installer hooked that up causing the screen to be permanently too dim? I have heard a ton of people complain about the dim display though (and mine's cranked up to the max). If it's the DRL's, is there a simple solution?

I just went driving around. It's been cloudy and I've been travelling (not in the car) alot. Today was the first really bright, sunny day and I couldn't believe how UNREADABLE the display is. Forget about it if you're wearing sunglasses for sure. But in broad daylight I can't see anything. When I turn the headlights on and off nothing happens.

Are other owners satisfied with the brightness level?

Daytime running lights is really not an issue, unless the parking lights or dash lights come on also.

Disconnect the orange/white on the decks harness and see if it resolves your issue.

Basically, if orange/white sees voltage, it dims the radio.