AVIC411.com

Protecting your F Series

img3787sz7.jpg

Found this while browsing... velcro...

I wonder if all cars will be able to fit a cover.... hmmm

If anyone is wondering about this picture, it's off of a Subaru Sti. A couple of the guys on the Subaru forum did this kind of mod using their Subaru OEM radio unit.

'06 STi here...

This won't work for the new F series because of the huge knob which doesn't push-in and recess (like Alpine units). I've gotta try and find something which looks stock... might just cut through the AM/FM buttons but then there'd be three knobs and if you look close enough you'd notice it's just a cover (which might tempt someone more than a stock unit itself).

i got the Viper 5701. Its a 2 way with remote start. The transmitter that comes with it is really cool and it work very well. I'd recommend it to anyone without a car alarm.

Does anyone know if the F-Series can be used with the Scion tC's factory Headunit cover? I know there was a small mod for the D3 and it worked perfectly. It covered the entire unit and no one could really tell anything was there.

i got the Viper 5701. Its a 2 way with remote start. The transmitter that comes with it is really cool and it work very well. I'd recommend it to anyone without a car alarm.

Does anyone know if the F-Series can be used with the Scion tC's factory Headunit cover? I know there was a small mod for the D3 and it worked perfectly. It covered the entire unit and no one could really tell anything was there.

it should fit fine, theres no dramatic differences on the face of it

A car alarm won't stop a skilled, motivated thief. And in a crowded mall or movie parking lot it won't elicit a second glance by passerbyers. The best thing you can do is tint your windows as dark as the law allows and attempt to hide/disguise your unit. Also, have your unit added to your insurance policy and make sure that you keep your receipts so that your insurance company will actually replace your unit. If you don't produce proof of purchase they'll attempt to get out of reimbursing you.

A car alarm won't stop a skilled, motivated thief. And in a crowded mall or movie parking lot it won't elicit a second glance by passerbyers. The best thing you can do is tint your windows as dark as the law allows and attempt to hide/disguise your unit. Also, have your unit added to your insurance policy and make sure that you keep your receipts so that your insurance company will actually replace your unit. If you don't produce proof of purchase they'll attempt to get out of reimbursing you.

thats more of a Plan B than actually preventing it. certain states dont allow too dark of a tint (NY allows 35% and even then ull get your balls busted) and the insurance will only cover what you tell them to, it wont cover the potential/probable damage thatll be done to your car. also most aftermarket alarms have an alarm on your keys if sounded off.

Yes, I know. I have DEI remote starter with pager. But it only takes 45 seconds to remove these units from most cars unless you utilized a welder during the install. If someone wants your unit they have to SEE it. That's why i mentioned the need to hide/disguise if possible. Also, if you have a reputable insurance company they will completely replace your unit and fix the extraction damage (been there, done that). I live in Houston and have had my car broken into many times and have never had a problem with my insurer making my car complete again. Unfortunately, its the times we live in...if some thief wants it they will get it. The best you can do around here is prepare for the eventuality.