AVIC411.com

Rear speakers sound horrible after installing a D3.

I installed a used D3 that I bought from my brother in my 07 Mustang GT with Shaker 500 using the two Metra harnesses.

The fronts and subs sound good but the rears sound real low and muddy.

Does anyone know what might be wrong?

Is this an output, EQ, or bad unit issue?

There is a weird Nav issue that I will be posting in another thread.

Thanks for helping a rook out.

There is a setting that lets you switch the rear outputs between full range and subwoofer outputs. Make sure it's not set to subwoofer.

Turn off whatever source is currently playing, then hit the menu button. Hit the INITIAL button, then set the REAR SP setting to FULL.

Ok wait a minute, your post is a little confusing to me, let me tell you how I hooked it up and we can go from there.

First off, yes I wired in the (Radio Shack #7805) 5V voltage regulator for the amp turn on signal, no popping noise at all.

As for the speaker connections; I hooked up both red and white RCA connections from the sub amp to the sub pre-out on the HU.

I also hooked up both set rear speaker wires, the set of green for the left and the set of violets for the right.

Does this sound right?

The fronts and the subs sound fine, but the rears sound deep and muddy.

They sound like mids with very little highs.

Thank you for the help.

Ok wait a minute, your post is a little confusing to me, let me tell you how I hooked it up and we can go from there.

First off, yes I wired in the (Radio Shack #7805) 5V voltage regulator for the amp turn on signal, no popping noise at all.

As for the speaker connections; I hooked up both red and white RCA connections from the sub amp to the sub pre-out on the HU.

I also hooked up both set rear speaker wires, the set of green for the left and the set of violets for the right.

Does this sound right?

The fronts and the subs sound fine, but the rears sound deep and muddy.

They sound like mids with very little highs.

Thank you for the help.

ok. that adaptor is a universal shaker adaptor for the mustang. its for the 500 and the 100....the white rca powers the rear door subs and the red powers the trunk subs. the 500 doesnt have the trunk subs, only the 1000 does. the red rca and the amp wire parrallel to it, tape them up and dont use them. you put the remaining amp wire in line with the src wire and a 5v regulator, awesome. now the white rca should go into the subwoofer output plug from the deck. lamme ask you tho, how is the sound in the read without the sub plugged in??? i mean if they sound like crap without your subs goin then the adaptor isnt ur problem. if it sounds fine then plug into the subwoofer output and mess with the settings. you should be arite.

"The rea SP was already set to full and preout was set to sub woofer. "

You answer's kinda... confusing. So was the rear speaker out setting set to full or to subwoofer? Because that setting controls BOTH the rear speaker RCA outputs as well as the rear speaker outputs from the D3's internal amplifier.

"The rea SP was already set to full and preout was set to sub woofer. "

You answer's kinda... confusing. So was the rear speaker out setting set to full or to subwoofer? Because that setting controls BOTH the rear speaker RCA outputs as well as the rear speaker outputs from the D3's internal amplifier.

The "rear sp" option is set to full and the "preout" option is set to "Sub W" intead of full. From what I see when you change the rear SP to full then the rear speakers act as sub woofers.

Also if the preout option is set to full then the woofer controls become labeled non fading and you lose the sub woofer controls.

ok. that adaptor is a universal shaker adaptor for the mustang. its for the 500 and the 100....the white rca powers the rear door subs and the red powers the trunk subs. the 500 doesnt have the trunk subs, only the 1000 does. the red rca and the amp wire parrallel to it, tape them up and dont use them. you put the remaining amp wire in line with the src wire and a 5v regulator, awesome. now the white rca should go into the subwoofer output plug from the deck. lamme ask you tho, how is the sound in the read without the sub plugged in??? i mean if they sound like crap without your subs goin then the adaptor isnt ur problem. if it sounds fine then plug into the subwoofer output and mess with the settings. you should be arite.

So you are saying the white RCA and corresponding blue wire are for the door subs and their amp, while the red RCA and corresponding blue wire is for the shaker 1000 trunk subs and amp?

Since I have a shaker 500 all that needs hook up is the white RCA from the pre-out on the HU and the corresponding blue needs to come from the output of the 5V regulator.

That is what I have expect that I have both blue wires going to the regulator and the red RCA hooked up as well.

Since I don’t have the shaker 1000 it should not matter if those wires are hooked up at the harness because the red RCA and blue wire do not exist at the factory harness.

Does this make any sense LOL? :D

So you are saying the white RCA and corresponding blue wire are for the door subs and their amp, while the red RCA and corresponding blue wire is for the shaker 1000 trunk subs and amp?

Since I have a shaker 500 all that needs hook up is the white RCA from the pre-out on the HU and the corresponding blue needs to come from the output of the 5V regulator.

That is what I have expect that I have both blue wires going to the regulator and the red RCA hooked up as well.

Since I don’t have the shaker 1000 it should not matter if those wires are hooked up at the harness because the red RCA and blue wire do not exist at the factory harness.

Does this make any sense LOL? :D

u got it! lol. theyre useless unless u have the 1000 which you dont. but im not sure about the HU rca i think the way they work is white is left and red is right since theyre made for aftermarket amps which use both. so if you have, try adding a y adaptor to both rcas coming from the unit and plug that single end into the white one so theoretically youll get your left and right bass. cuz i was just thinking about it, with only white to white you should only be bumpin to one side's bass. and i plugged it into the subwoofer output, not the rear output (i dont even recall seeing a rear output, but nor did i look) so do that and get back to me, if it sounds better then you did what you had to do with the wires just adjust the EQ to your liking.

JRT, yes, I have an 07 that had the Shaker 500.

So, what I am getting from this thread is:

Plug a Y-adapter into the red and white RCA coming out of the AVIC D3.

Then, plug the white RCA coming from the existing Shaker 500 amp into the remaining RCA of the Y-adapter.

That's it?

Do I tape off the red RCA to keep it away from things or is it basically a dead cable?

JRT, yes, I have an 07 that had the Shaker 500.

So, what I am getting from this thread is:

Plug a Y-adapter into the red and white RCA coming out of the AVIC D3.

Then, plug the white RCA coming from the existing Shaker 500 amp into the remaining RCA of the Y-adapter.

That's it?

Do I tape off the red RCA to keep it away from things or is it basically a dead cable?

correct. its dead and does nothing but tape it anyway just to be neater. the cool thing about the dash in the stand is when u remove the bezel in front of the deck u have like 5 inches of space where you can keep your av plugs incase u want to do more things in the future...u dont hafta take out the deck. having that red ne exposed can be a lil annoyance when you pick that one up and o snap its the dead cable again lol