AVIC411.com

It seems that if I turn off my car the next time I turn it on the USB connection to my 700 is lost. I have to unplug my USB stick and plug it back in for the unit to see it again. My USB stick is getting power, the light is on, the 700 is just not seeing it.

Is this a known issue or do I have a cheap USB stick?

I have a feeling it's just another bug. The 700 needs to scan for USB devices when it boots up, but it's not.

"side question. anyone know of a nice big hard drive that is powered by a single USB port? I have a drive with 2 usb plugs. One for power one for data. It doesn't seem to work on the 700. Even with the usb splitter I don't think there's enough juice to power and read the drive."

Your memory stick may not be formatted for auto-detection or quick disconnect which could interfere with it's function...

But anyway, you can get a Western Digital Passport for pretty cheap, and they are very small for their capacity. 160GB for $80.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I got a USB Hard Drive to work. The F series USB port does not put out enough power to run a USB drive. I tried a few different kinds. So you need a USB power source to get the thing going.

As for the Auto-Reconnect issue. It seems to be better than the USB stick I was using before. The Hard Drive reconnect on startup about 80% of the time.

I have about 25gb worth of mp3s on there. The unit takes about 2min to boot now. It used to be about 30sec. I think it's scanning the USB drive to map out the file structure.

I think the file structure should be saved on the unit to increase boot time. On the USB control screen there should be a button "Scan USB" This would rescan the USB file structure when the user wants. If you update your USB drive the changes wont show on the screen until you "Scan USB" again. At least let us decide when we want to wait around 2-3 min. Would be better than every time the unit boots.

Ok, I've seemed to have found a work around.

As long as your unit is NOT using the USB Drive when you turn it off the next time you turn it on the boot time is short again.

So before I turn off my car I always go to my Sirius tuner first.

I guess the unit doesn't like to boot up in USB mode.

However, even after booting up to Sirius and then picking the USB it still takes about 45sec to Scan the 25gig of music on the drive. Does it every time. It just refuses to remember the file structure.