AVIC411.com

"POI" Voice Command - How does it work?

I spent some time with the manual trying to learn some voice commands, but I'm not sure what the Destination > POI does. It seems to only recognize city names, not POI's themselves - once I say a city name, I'm not given an option to choose a POI, just to set it as a destination.

What I'm trying to do (verbally) is choose a city and then search for a POI, either by Category (say, restaurants), or by the POI name itself. Is this possible by voice, or only by touchscreen? Vicinity search works this way, but that's only for a 10 mile (?) radius around your current location. If I know where I'm heading, or towns along the way, it would be nice to be able to do what I'm inquiring about.

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to increase the Vicinity Search radius? If not, Pioneer should add that option.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
While I've actually found the POI by voice command to work, there is a major problem with it. The POI database for the Z1 is....well lets just say they could do a MUCH better job with their POI's. There just aren't enough in there, and the ones that are have often been wildly wrong.

I've found that when searching for a POI via Voice Command, it helps to already know how the POI is entered in the database and try to use the full name when asking for it. For instance, if the POI is something like "Mission Trails Regional Park", then say the full name, and not just something like "Mission Trails". Make sure to speak as clearly as possible, and say each word distinctly. Try not to run them all together.