AVIC411.com

NEED Info on the Z3 in comparision to the F900BT and P6800DV

Ok I just sold my last setup to buy a new one.

The last setup was a P6800DVD with an Avic-80DVD add on navigation unit with the updated map dvd. Had the P910 XM tuner, and the CD-IB100ii ipod interface.

My biggest complaint with the setup was the ipod interface was slooooow to scroll through all the artists. I would have taken me all day to scroll all the way down to ZZ Top.

So I read the F900BT does voice recognition for the ipod. Well maybe I suck, or my unit is worse then the rest, but it doesnt work at all.

(I read about the issues before buying)

I am also not happy with the way the map is displayed :(

Is the Z3 easier to navigate through the ipod than the P6800dvd with adapter? Even if its not via voice.... The F900BT has a feature where you can select the first letter of the artist/album you want and get there quickly.

Also I dislike that most of the features of the F900BT are burried under sub menus. My P6800DVD was not like that.

How does the Z3 stack up under "user friendly" ?

What excatly does the voice control work with or control on the Z3 ?

Aside from the map data and harddrive, are there any differences between the Z2 and the Z3 ?

I'm really trying to hold onto the F900BT, but the Z3 sounds better everyday :)

I miss my AVG-VDP1 that the Z series has built in, ability to use a cd changer, and background animation (spectrum analyzer).

I have a P6800DVD w/AVIC-9DVD and Z2 upgraded to Z3, but unfortunately both sitting on my floor not yet installed but I have bench-tested them both.

Z3 iPod interface as far as I can tell, is exactly the same as the P6800DVD. I don't remember it being very different at all and I think it's just as slow. Z3's built-in gauges isn't as extensive as the AVG-VDP1.

Z3 upgrades over the Z2 are small, mainy just maps and I think improved voice recognition. It's easy and inexpensive ($10 or less) to upgrade a Z2 if you are even remotely computer savvy so get whichever you can get for cheaper. I haven't tried the voice control yet. Z3 is about as user-friendly as the P6800DVD w/AVIC add-on, they are very similar. The primary differences are the Z3 adds the split map views and the UI is prettier looking, but the basic UI is the same. Z3 also has different onscreen keyboard options like QWERTY for instance.

Unless you've got loyalties to Pioneer, I would take a good look at the JVC KW-NX7000. It looks so good on paper, I'm tempted to buy one just to try and then install the one I like best.

I do really like the entertainment screens on the 6800DVD like the spectrum analyzer and animated big clock. It's strange that none of Pioneer's navigation stereos have that.

Yeah the entertainment screens on the 6800 were the only reason I went with it over the Z1 or Z2 (whichever was out at the time).

I never hoodek up the mic to the nav on the 6800 so I have no idea what that was like, but the nav as a whole sucked. My $150 navigon was alot more accurate.

I am kinda pioneer loyal but lately they seem to be behind the curve. I have had pioneer source units for the past 10 years at least. And 5 of them have been video units!

I'll check out the JVC you posted, I remember I used to have the top of the line JVC El Kamelion with voice control, so maybe they have more experience in that aspect lol

I knew the F900bt was flawed, and I can work with the ones everyone complains about, but its all the other things I don't like. Shouldn't be an issue for someone who is not used to the way pioneers are usually laid out in the UI.

I've heard a lot of good things about the 8120, but I just can't get over how ugly the nav screens look. It reminds me of the Apple II or C64 days.

I think the NX7000 may be a best buy. Its nav screens looks almost as good as Pioneer and it uses Navteq, same as the 8120. It also has twice as many POIs as the 8120 (12m vs 6m) and costs anywhere from $150-400 less depending on where you buy.