AVIC411.com

Toyota Tundra avic z1 Install...

This is a great site,

I've had my unit for a few week's Now and really pleased with the unit however there are a few question's i have. One Topic deal's with a slight loss on the Gps Signal near my home and other areas which is covered near tress and inclines I've contacted Pioneer and they informated me My Gps antena Need's to be relocated outside on the roof vs where it's presently at on the dash to the very right of the passenger airbag above the passenger air vent. The problem on the Gps signal in this area is certain times the unit will Be wayyy off plot on where I'm at and it shows me gliding over area's which it corrects itself when a strong gps signal is found from the unit. I have went into the settings and Noted my signal in this area tends to have 3 to 4 bar's and Pioneer informed me at least 4 bars need to be present for some activity is this normal for the unit not to find the location? This has happened a few times at varies place (everything is set up correct by the way)..

Another issue is how to get raid of these Icon's when i start up my unit
thanks erik

[img]http://www.tundrasolutions.com/photopost/data/500/medium/DSC000116.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.tundrasolutions.com/photopost/data/500/medium/DSC000105.JPG[/img]
[quote name="yamahatundrav8"]
thanks erik[/quote]

The navigation disclamer... you can't.

The parking brake one... you need to unground your parking brake wire and then reset the unit.
How is your GPS antenna mounted? It is critical that it be mounted on metal; the bigger the piece of metal, the better. The surrounding metal actually becomes part of the antenna. When you say it is on the dash next to the airbag do you mean literally on the dash (on top of the plastic)? I had mine installed by Circuit City (only because I got free installation) and had a major arguement with the installer over antenna placement. He would not install it anywhere except the roof unless I signed a disclaimer. I showed him a picture from the car's service manual showing a metal brace for the dash immediately under the top plastic dash cover and told him to put it there. This piece of metal extends completely across the front of the car to support the dash. When I picked up the car he couldn't believe how good the GPS signal was. When he went to calibrate the GPS he told me he didn't get halfway around the building before the GPS was locked in with 8 bars.

Make sure you are mounted on a good, solid metal piece with NO METAL ABOVE THE ANTENNA.
[quote name="ufd108"]How is your GPS antenna mounted? It is critical that it be mounted on metal; the bigger the piece of metal, the better. The surrounding metal actually becomes part of the antenna. When you say it is on the dash next to the airbag do you mean literally on the dash (on top of the plastic)? I had mine installed by Circuit City (only because I got free installation) and had a major arguement with the installer over antenna placement. He would not install it anywhere except the roof unless I signed a disclaimer. I showed him a picture from the car's service manual showing a metal brace for the dash immediately under the top plastic dash cover and told him to put it there. This piece of metal extends completely across the front of the car to support the dash. When I picked up the car he couldn't believe how good the GPS signal was. When he went to calibrate the GPS he told me he didn't get halfway around the building before the GPS was locked in with 8 bars.

I need to change this location I took a picture of this to show you how my Tundra is connected at present. Does anybody know if i can install this on the metal brace for the dash and does The Tundra Have that is my next question...
[img]http://www.tundrasolutions.com/photopost/data/500/medium/DSC000048.JPG[/img]

Make sure you are mounted on a good, solid metal piece with NO METAL ABOVE THE ANTENNA.[/quote]
[quote name="cntrylvr79"]It's only bad if you're not getting reception. He's obviously getting reception otherwise it would have been moved. Most car dashes still have large amounts of metal substructure. which is more than enough to create a ground plane for the antenna.[/quote]

Not with plastic in between. The antenna must be touching metal. This makes a larger ground plane and significantly increases the sensitivity of the antenna. Even the Pioneer installation instructions tell you it must be mounted on metal.

And he's not getting sufficient reception; that's what started this thread. Take that antenna, put it under the top plastic pad of the dash directly on the metal dash support and I guarantee his reception will go up significantly.
[quote name="ufd108"] [quote name="cntrylvr79"]It's only bad if you're not getting reception. He's obviously getting reception otherwise it would have been moved. Most car dashes still have large amounts of metal substructure. which is more than enough to create a ground plane for the antenna.[/quote]

Not with plastic in between. The antenna must be touching metal. This makes a larger ground plane and significantly increases the sensitivity of the antenna. Even the Pioneer installation instructions tell you it must be mounted on metal.

And he's not getting sufficient reception; that's what started this thread. Take that antenna, put it under the top plastic pad of the dash directly on the metal dash support and I guarantee his reception will go up significantly.[/quote]

It's working Fine but there comes a time during a t storm or certain area's that lack signal strengt The unit has a hard time trying to figure out it's location but once it find's a gps signal it goes back on track. I tend to beleive there is a better method to mount the antenna Plus I dont like the location on the placement. Has anybody installed that Gps antenna On a Tundra before I might go on the roof where my xm deal or find the cross member in the dash if thats possible ..
[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="yamahatundrav8"]
thanks erik[/quote]

The navigation disclamer... you can't.

The parking brake one... you need to unground your parking brake wire and then reset the unit.[/quote]

I've noted you seem to know a lot about these unit's One question for you the production date on my AVIC Z1 is May 2006 and I kept reading about some updated changes made from April 06 on may i ask what updates were done to the Z1?

Thanks for your advice on the Fourms

ERIK