AVIC411.com

Newest Map Disk available???

$250 for a map update? Pioneer should be providing these updates for free!

I can buy a $100 GPS that does a better job of providing guidance in my area than my N3 with 70 series maps. And the $100 unit will also show all the lakes and rivers in my area while the N3 does not.

I have owned two N3s but I will never buy another pioneer product again. The second unit with 70 series maps will not provide guidance in my area (the 60 series does). Also, in many instances I can't trust the guidance since it will sometimes instruct me to take routes that make no sense whatsoever.

Additionally the search function is almost useless. I have used many GPS with rental cars that do a much better job than the AVICS. For example when I'm looking for a gas station the unit should expand the search until it finds one. Telling me that there are none in the area is useless! And who is the genius at Pioneer that decided to give me a list of freeway entrances in alphabetical order? Is the N3 supposed to be an Atlas or a navigation unit?

Pioneer should be providing regular free functionality and map updates to their customers instead of gouging them for map updates that only provide minor improvements.

I can buy a $100 GPS that does a better job of providing guidance in my area than my N3 with 70 series maps. And the $100 unit will also show all the lakes and rivers in my area while the N3 does not.

I have owned two N3s but I will never buy another pioneer product again. The second unit with 70 series maps will not provide guidance in my area (the 60 series does). Also, in many instances I can't trust the guidance since it will sometimes instruct me to take routes that make no sense whatsoever.

Additionally the search function is almost useless. I have used many GPS with rental cars that do a much better job than the AVICS. For example when I'm looking for a gas station the unit should expand the search until it finds one. Telling me that there are none in the area is useless! And who is the genius at Pioneer that decided to give me a list of freeway entrances in alphabetical order? Is the N3 supposed to be an Atlas or a navigation unit?

Pioneer should be providing regular free functionality and map updates to their customers instead of gouging them for map updates that only provide minor improvements.

Dude- If you got it out for Pioneer then go another direction. No need in going on and on and on...

I have tried a few GPS units myself, I think the Pioneer interface by far is the best.. If you dont like it, get some Alpline junk, you'll pay more $$, and have more issues.... Good luck!

Dude- If you got it out for Pioneer then go another direction. No need in going on and on and on...

I have tried a few GPS units myself, I think the Pioneer interface by far is the best.. If you dont like it, get some Alpline junk, you'll pay more $$, and have more issues.... Good luck!

I can tell you that I'm not overly thrilled with Pioneer right now. Their service is awful, and I honestly feel that an electronic device should last longer than 18 months before it needs a $200 service.

If I consider the cost of service, plus the cost of the map upgrade, it just doesn't make sense to spend half of what I can get a new upgraded (N4) purchased for. On top of that, my unit still isn't right, and I'll be calling Pioneer again on Monday to see how they will deal with this. Pioneer is getting to be like Sony; at one time it was a good name that we paid extra to own. Now they are and "also ran" that have shunned their customers for the mighty dollar.

I'd like to buy a new unit but it's too much $$$ for 18 months worth of use.

regards

~Marc

Um Dude- As stated, I do intend to go another direction. I was not going on and on, I was simply stating a few indisputable facts. The list of deficiencies relative to much less costly units is long. When all of its audio and video features are considered, the N3 is a nice unit. But, it's navigation functionality is inferior to many much less costly models. When I ask it to find me a gas station, it might just be because I need gas! Telling me there are none in the area is useless. Also, the POI search functionality is a joke.

Pioneer should support its customers and provide differentiated value by offering free (or inexpensive) upgrades. $250 for a simple map upgrade is ridiculous. For my area, the last map update was worst than the previous model.

If you're a Pioneer fan boy then I suggest you skip my posts.

I feel for rickmc, because the D3 has the same terrible navigation. And trust me, Alpine's navigation is far superior to Pioneers, I've used one (and it was a 2004 model) Pioneer promised me a firmware upgrade by April to fix the ridiculous routing algorithm...it is now almost August and there is still no firmware update, and not even an updated navigation disc available! This is surely the last Pioneer product i purchase.

Trust me I feel your pain. Updates / Upgrades should be at no charge, epically if it provides more fuctionality. Meaning Pioneer can charge us for more hardware, new devices, etc. But this is how they make money too.

18 months is a bunch of crap for something to go bad.

Just remember this, there are other more economic means of getting this upgrade without spending $250.00

Anyone got their hands on a set yet?

• 4 weeks later...