AVIC411.com

After-Market Warranties??!!

[quote name="grcplaya"]well I looked at the site and did a shop locator their were few repair shops here but what I don't get, they were all T.V. repair facility what would a tv repair place know about navi units harddrives I dont know about you guys but I wouldnt send my deck to tv repair.
thats my .02

grcplaya[/quote]

Because TV repair is all there was at one time. No Nav, no computers, no hard drives (affordable anyway)...get the jest? They use to fix/replace simple tubes in TV's and radios.

The guy I have (the company) is called 'Page TV' and I will match them to to any high end repair tech, any where in the world. I send my cctv/security equipment (DVR's) to this "TV Repairman" and this equipment I send him makes the AVIC-Z1 look like 2 cans and a string. :wink:
OK Guys,

I just got back from Futureshop (Canadian Store) they sell extended warranties.

I asked 5 different people (Sales Associates & Managers)

"IF I REMOVE THE STICKER WILL IT VOID THE EXTENDED WARRANTY IF i BUY The EXTENDED WARRANTY"

they said "NO IT WILL STILL BE COVERED, WARRANTY WILL NOT COVER IT IF THERE IS DAMAGE TO THE DECK OR IT HAS BEEN TEMPERED WITH"

so.... in conclusion futureshop does cover the unit for warranty even if you remove the sticker...

:D
...until one of you guys have an issue with your Z1 and you start posting your sad story's about how you "Just found out" that you have to ship your Z1 off at your own exspense because there is only "2" authorized repair centers in the US that services the Z1. Then you'll be sobbing even more because they are going to tell you that "YOU" have to pay for the repair and rely on your 3rd party warranty company to reimburse you. Oh, you're going to really be crying now. By this time you're at a crossroad, Do I come out of my pocket to pay for this repair and "trust" that my 3rd party warranty company will reimburse me, or do I start thinking "Ghee, I might have been better off cutting my losses and applying that $200-$300 towards my next Nav system since this one is 2 yrs (or older) and the new ones are only a fourth as much because of how cheap the technology has gotten.

Tell you what, call Pioneer and ask them who exactly (Names and addresses) is authorized to repair this specific model (AVIC-Z1). Then reply to this post with a listing of those places. Trust me, it'll be a very short post. Now, contact your warranty company and ask them how you are going to get your unit to 1 of the only 2 service centers that's authorized to repair the Z1? Oh, I also forgot to tell you that Pioneer is going to charge you $70 to give you a diagnosis of the problem. Guess who pays for that before the warrant company will even listen to what you have to say? You got it, YOU!
Well, Lil Red, I know at least a half-dozen people and myself who have dealt with the company that issued my service plan; Mack Camera. May sound strange they are called camera, but they do all types of electronic repairs as well as cameras.
Yes, if something happens I will have to pay postage to MACK, it may take a week, but I have faith since they did me real well with a Nikon F5 repair and even gave me a free full cleaning.

I know other people who have used them, and all reports have been excellent. So, does it bother me I would be without a radio for a week? Yes, but I can always install the stock radio when I yank out the Z1.
Then again, I'm hoping this system will not have to have any repairs, and what worries me more is the fact everyone is talking about repairing something that hasn't broken yet. Does this imply the Z1 is a POS?
I save almost $700.00 by purchasing from a non-authorized dealer. Postage doesn't come close, and I would be without the unit for the same time if it was sent to Pioneer.
Not all companies that issue service plans require you to pay first, and reimbursed later; some are qualified to do the actual repair.
[quote name="hummer_h3"]Well, Lil Red, I know at least a half-dozen people and myself who have dealt with the company that issued my service plan; Mack Camera. May sound strange they are called camera, but they do all types of electronic repairs as well as cameras.
Yes, if something happens I will have to pay postage to MACK, it may take a week, but I have faith since they did me real well with a Nikon F5 repair and even gave me a free full cleaning.

I know other people who have used them, and all reports have been excellent. So, does it bother me I would be without a radio for a week? Yes, but I can always install the stock radio when I yank out the Z1.
Then again, I'm hoping this system will not have to have any repairs, and what worries me more is the fact everyone is talking about repairing something that hasn't broken yet. Does this imply the Z1 is a POS?
I save almost $700.00 by purchasing from a non-authorized dealer. Postage doesn't come close, and I would be without the unit for the same time if it was sent to Pioneer.
Not all companies that issue service plans require you to pay first, and reimbursed later; some are qualified to do the actual repair.[/quote]

Hummer, call Pioneer and see if Mack Canmera is an authorized Z1 repair center, if not then it doesn't matter what they performed for you in the past. Pioneer won't allow them to touch the Z1 and neither will your after market warranty company if you expect to get reimbursed......
[quote name="Inspector_Gadget"]So are we basically saying that we should buy retail only?[/quote]

No, I am suggesting that the 3rd party warranties are a scam and you will be very disappointed when it's time to use them. The 1 year Pioneer warranty is cool, it's handled directly through Pioneer(the manufacturer). After that you'll have to go through a maze of inconveniences to get any service/repairs. Everyone is under the impression that they will be able to drop their head unit off at the nearest repair center and it won't be that easy. Since 99% of them are not authorized to repair the Z1, you'll have to do all the leg work yourself, which includes having the unit repaired out of pocket and hope for reimbursement from your 3rd party warranty company.
And what if the fly-by-night company goes belly up. Many of my friends on another fourm for Jeeps had an extended warrentee via a "reputable" company. I almost bought one and then the company went bankrupt and everyones warrenttee was no longer any good. No one got any money back or paid for repairs after that date......So be careful out there.....

Greg
[quote name="JZ"]what do you mean by "pioneer won't allow them to touch the Z1" why? if he's buying from an unauthorized dealer, isn't the warranty already void?[/quote]

There are only 2 authorized locations that can repair the AVIC-Z1: Columbus, OH and Long Beach, CA.
As far as the thing about the unauthorized dealer, personally I don't know. I am just commenting on what I know about this 3rd party warranty stuff. It aint worth it.....